• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie to the UK and Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tay View Post
    P.S All you aussies are scumbags and should go back from whence you came

HTH
    Wait.... Isn't New Zealand PART of Australia?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      It's the bit excreted from the tail end....
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
        noooo.. did anyone see else see Shark vs Eagle?

let's not get into a battle between NZ and Aus. we already had one on the weekend, and the wallabies won. =P

Comment

I'd love more experience in another position (more tools/processes exposure) before contracting, so I'm thinking that I may take a permie position if I do find it hard to get a contract!

Comment

Originally posted by jazza View Post
            I've never managed to rent in London for 300/month, I would suggest it's probably going to cost considerably more. Particularly if you want to feel safe coming home at night.
            I just looked on a property rental site, don't recall which at the moment and the first property in zone 2 that came up was 270 per month for a single room inc bills.

As I don't know much about particular areas of Londinium, I couldn't tell you if it was a good or bad one.
            "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
            "See?"

Comment

Its just come one month till I arrive, so I've started looking at what contracts and jobs were out there. Not really contracts in my specialization, although lots in .NET.

One listing caught my eye, but it is permanent (£35-40k+ben). It sounded just the type of work I want to do, so I uploaded my CV. Within the next day, I had received a phone call from the recruitment company to learn more about my skills and whether they matched what the client was after (as it is a pretty specialized field).

I know there is one month before I even enter the country, but what is the market like for contracts in London duing September? Would it be worth proceeding with the interview, or just wait until I arrive, and try my luck at landing a contract.

Comment

Working...
              X