• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permitractor theory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permitractor theory

Ever since joining up on here and becoming a contractor myself, I've been hearing stories about how clients (esp. big ones) have a tendency to treat their consultants/contractors like permanent staff (by that I mean rules such as holidays, breaks, start/finish times, training, meetings, expectation of line management, etc).

I've come to the conclusion that whilst in our own minds we are setup as a limited company and operate as a completely separate business, the client very often overlooks this, or fails to see it altogether (from my own experience too). I've tried to position myself in my head as being 'the client' and come up with the theory that the reason behind this is because we are recruited as a resource quite often from an 'agency'. This kind of implies that we have been supplied or are working under the agency as staff, rather than being supplied as a 3rd party? From the clients perspective this in a way feels to them like they are buying in the resource to be used like temporary staff, and as such the expectation is that you are filling a slot/position within the company and are somehow bound under terms dictated by THEM (the client).

From my own experience I don't even think the perm staff/managers who I work with realise (or care) that I'm a limited company and supplying my services to them, it's very much a 'fit in or bye bye' attitude. This is very frustrating for IR35 as it makes it impossible to act as a company in fear of pissing the client off and losing your extension (unless of course you are gods gift and 1 of a kind and you dictate your terms to them), but quite often big companies I find are more than happy to just see you out the door knowing the next resource will be supplied minutes later bankrolled off the back of multi-million pound turnovers.

I don't think there is an easy way to address this other than either accept it, or walk, but walking is only disadvantaging yourself really.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

arrrgh get over yourself will you!!!

FFS, every contractor now think they are so iffing special... nanananan I got my Ltd ..nananana I am a real company ...

Pleaaaaaase... work, invoice and shutup!!

Comment

Oh just realised Chris can be Denny

if this is Denny then hey girl.. how are ya??

Comment

Chris, you are absolutely right. Agents often act as if they are supplying people, and even if you tell the agent "we are a consultancy and we prefer to use a variety of staff and complete projects for fixed price", they usually will tell the client "This is Chris, he's got x years' experience of y and his expected wage is z".

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
          arrrgh get over yourself will you!!!

FFS, every contractor now think they are so iffing special... nanananan I got my Ltd ..nananana I am a real company ...

Pleaaaaaase... work, invoice and shutup!!
          This was directed at professionals running a limited company, not agency staff or umbrella staff so I guess it might not apply to everyone on this forum. Sorry to waste your time!

Comment

Well, there are also a bunch of people who get a bit of sympathy from me.

These are the people who would prefer to be temporary employees, but get told by their agencies that the only way to operate is to set up a limited company that is only ever going to be a bit of a sham.

Comment

I'd much rather be self-employed, but poorly thought through legislation ****ed that option a while ago.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

i have a Ltd company, but cuz i have to (its the most efficient way of working as a contractor) If I was able to work as a freelancer and have all the Ltd company benefit, then i would've done that.... have no ambition of becoming a consultancy or any other kind of supply business... just want to work as a contractor, earn good money, that's all

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
                  i have a Ltd company, but cuz i have to (its the most efficient way of working as a contractor) If I was able to work as a freelancer and have all the Ltd company benefit, then i would've done that.... have no ambition of becoming a consultancy or any other kind of supply business... just want to work as a contractor, earn good money, that's all
                  So you are a limited co, but don't care about the implications of IR35 then (in summary). Well some of us do, as there is a large financial penalty at stake, so feel free to run your business (because whether you like it or not, that's what it is) how you wish, but don't try and make out everyone should adopt your approach based on the insecure and flawed reasons you stated.

(Unless of course you are paying full PAYE like a good girl).

Comment

After 5 years and about 10 different contracts, myself, I'd say 99% of clients DO just want a temp. I'm forced through the ltd co route whether I want it or not. I do NOT want to be an employee though.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X