• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to get rid of Agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get rid of Agent

I have been at this client for some 4 years now, and the only thing the agency has done in that entire time is advertise for the initial role and forward my CV to the client. I didn't even meet the agent until 2 years later!

I have rarely heard from the agent, to the extent that I have to chase my own renewals and negotiate my own rates and extensions. Unlike other contractors/agencies at this client, this agency never takes its contractors out for lunch or beers or anything. Not even a social call!

As is the norm, I am tied into the agency through the contract, which state the usual glarb about not being able to work at the client for 12 months through anyone else etc.

Now though I am sick and tired of their lackadaisical attitude and would like nothing better than to dump them. From your experience is this in any way possible?

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Now though I am sick and tired of their lackadaisical attitude and would like nothing better than to dump them. From your experience is this in any way possible?
    No. It's an old gripe - used it myself - "they haven't done anything for the money for the past x extensions" but thems the breaks. The only time I've managed to ditch an angency, the company I defected to agreed to pay them damages to cover their lost costs.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I have been at this client for some 4 years now, and the only thing the agency has done in that entire time is advertise for the initial role and forward my CV to the client. I...
      Yes. There are plenty of other contracts out there. Find one.

Your contract is with the agency. Next time, don't go with one you don't like (or with one at all).

PS I know it sounds sarky but it's the truth.

Comment

The contract bewteen the agent and the client should have a reducing buyout clause in there. On the ones I've seen used by big agents, after a couple of years it should be down to around 3 months commission. The clients are usually too dumb to work this out. Ask your client !? It'll need someone to take the initial hit and probably lots of indecision on behalf of the client to take it up and in the end they won't be bothered with all the hastle.

Comment

I have been at this client for some 4 years now,
          Permie. You have lost all your rights of negotiation

Comment

I presume the handcuff clause is with your limited company and not you personally?

If so then just close your copmpany. Start a new one. New company goes direct.

Job done, agent shafted.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
              I presume the handcuff clause is with your limited company and not you personally?
              They usually have that one covered by the wording.

Comment

10 grand, plain envelope, under the bins by Marks & Spencer. I'll get my man in....
                Bored.

Comment

Working...
                X