• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

From hour rates to day rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    That's how it goes. You have to decide what you do then. One contract I was on, the end client took over and imposed exactly that (hourly timesheet, a day of < 8h was calculated pro rata, a day of > 8h truncated to 8h).
    That's the situation where I am at the moment. It works OK here. There is give and take. I work the odd 10 hour day where it's needed and I only bill for 8 hours. Other times I'll come in later than usual and/or go earlier. I bill for 8 hours. I might go to the dentist the odd morning and not start work until 11. I bill for 8 hours.

The way I see it, a PWD means 8 hours here so that's what I interpret it as for billing. The hours I work are up to me. If I took the p**s I'm sure they'd complain, but I don't.

I was once asked to stay late do help out with an interview. the manager knew I'd not get paid any extra for it, so he suggested I put the time down on the weekend so I would get paid the hours. I actually didn't bother as it had only taken me 2 hours and it showed good will which I would get paid back for the next time I needed to turn up later than usual.

The place before this was similar - I put every day's times down as 9 until 6 with 1 hour for lunch no matter when I turned up, went home and no matter how long I took for lunch.

Obviously making this work depends on how well you get on with whoever signs the timesheets.

Comment

Now I know what is going on.

I've been given 3 additional projects to look after this week: two on Monday and another this afternoon.

I reckon I need about ½ day + 1 day + 2½ days + 2 days + 1½ days per week to properly look after the five projects I now have.

No wonder they want me to switch from hourly to professional day. 12 hours a day for 8 hours pay.

I shall decline the change to the contract and see what reaction that gets...

... and start checking out Jobserve ...
      If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

extra projects

too right numpty! Were these 3 new projects in your contract schedule too?
        It might be worth responding a tad more corporately. Imagine this.

<customer> Hello BT

<BT> hello customer

<customer> You know how we've been paying you £100 a month + 10p/minute (averaging £180/month total) to supply our office with a landline? Well we are making some changes to your contract. Firstly we are going to pay you exactly £180/month and it will be all-inclusive. That's because we're planning to use the phone loads more in future and we don't want it to cost us any more. In fact, we're opening another 3 offices and we want you to supply phone lines for them too, all within the £180/month. Here's where you sign.

<BT>Now hold on a minute..!

Comment

Do not stand for this rubbish

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
          Now I know what is going on.

I've been given 3 additional projects to look after this week: two on Monday and another this afternoon.

I reckon I need about ½ day + 1 day + 2½ days + 2 days + 1½ days per week to properly look after the five projects I now have.

No wonder they want me to switch from hourly to professional day. 12 hours a day for 8 hours pay.

I shall decline the change to the contract and see what reaction that gets...

... and start checking out Jobserve ...
          You have to allow flexible to a degree, I work for money not so someone can take the p1$$, life is to short and more people should stand up to these bean counters. If you have the strength of character it normally works.

I had one boss, who started shouting at me, I just laughed and told her that I could hear her

I got a lot of resect from others after that including the permie's who were all scared of her!

email people especially about certain aspects of the project, required time to work etc, you can then use it to nail them in the future, I am very good at it, becoming a real problem now as I just laugh too loud at times.

Comment

Working...
          X