• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finishing contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing contract early

Hi Folks,

I wonder if you could give me some advice, I am on my final renewal (I have been with the company for 1 year and Contractors can only be kept for year) which is due to finish in 2 months time.

The thing is I would like to leave my current contract a few weeks before the end date, due to the fact I am on my final renewal,I have a have a large financial commitment and I don't want to turn away longer contracts.

I don't have a notice period ,but what my contract states is "The Service Provider may not give notice and is obliged to work the full term of the Contract"

Any advice troops, i.e what would be the main issues of my finishing a few weeks earlier.

Suppose a close relative to die? Or become very ill and need looking after?

Better to do that and burn no bridges. I doubt legal action would ensue - but why risk it?

No where is Mal to dish out some abuse?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Baz View Post
      Hi Folks,

I wonder if you could give me some advice, I am on my final renewal (I have been with the company for 1 year and Contractors can only be kept for year) which is due to finish in 2 months time.

The thing is I would like to leave my current contract a few weeks before the end date, due to the fact I am on my final renewal,I have a have a large financial commitment and I don't want to turn away longer contracts.

I don't have a notice period ,but what my contract states is "The Service Provider may not give notice and is obliged to work the full term of the Contract"

Any advice troops, i.e what would be the main issues of my finishing a few weeks earlier.
      You could try discussing it with the client - they might be OK with it if they are able to make suitable arrangements.

Comment

Are you personally the Service Provider, or is it a company that you work for? If the latter, the obvious thing is to have another person do the work in your place. You'd get out to do the other work, and the Service Provider would still be fulfilling its contract.

Comment

Yes I am the Service Provider

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            You could try discussing it with the client - they might be OK with it if they are able to make suitable arrangements.
            I agree - you might find they'll be pleased they can get rid of you sooner.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Baz View Post
              Hi Folks,

Be honest and talk to them!

Your paths may cross at some point in the future - so, why risk anything that could be confrontational?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                Be honest and talk to them!

Your paths may cross at some point in the future - so, why risk anything that could be confrontational?
                Absolutely....they'll probably turn around and say sod th 12 month rule, here's a rate increase please stay.

Comment

Working...
                X