• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the best way of suggesting reduced working hours to a client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best way of suggesting reduced working hours to a client

I'm mid contract, but because there is less work around/I'm so efficient (delete as appropriate) only 50% of my time is spent working.
    Whereas I could just sit around doing nothing, I'd rather work half the days and spend the rest of the time on hobbies/plan B.
    I'm on a daily rate.
    Also helps with IR35 if times are ad-hoc (no MOO)

But how do I suggest this to the client without appearing to be unenthusiastic and wanting to leave?

My company has started a new employee initiative whereby they offer each employee the opportunity to work from home X days a week. Hence I won't be in on X and X.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
      I'm mid contract, but because there is less work around/I'm so efficient (delete as appropriate) only 50% of my time is spent working.
      Whereas I could just sit around doing nothing, I'd rather work half the days and spend the rest of the time on hobbies/plan B.
      I'm on a daily rate.

But how do I suggest this to the client without appearing to be unenthusiastic and wanting to leave?
      Tell them that there isn't enough work for you and that they're wasting their money paying you to be there full time.
      Offer to work 3 days a week until things get busier
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
        I'm on a daily rate.

If you come clean to the client and they agree, you'll only get (say) 50% of your normal weekly rate for working half the time. TBH, I'd sit tight until the contract renewal is mentioned then say you want to work from home 2 days a week or, only want to work 3 days on site if there isnt sufficient work.

I dont think any of this would have a bearing for IR35 unless you secured another contract to run for the other days you dont work for the first client.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Dont even think about it.

At this time my advice would be as such.

Option 1. Try to get involved in other areas of the IT footprint. It helps your skills and also makes your contract more secure.

Option 2. If you are happy to accept a reduced earning then suggest to your client that you will only work, say, 3 days a week as you are attending training courses, attending to personal affairs etc. Assure them that your deliveries will be unaffacted. Clarify that you will be available on the phone on the days off. This might help you negotiate a weekly rate of around 80% of what you are making at the moment.

Option 3. Sit in office twiddling your thumbs. Find some hobbies that you can practice in the office cafe (Sudoku etc). Does your office cafe have a TV?

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
            At this time my advice would be as such.

Option 1. Try to get involved in other areas of the IT footprint. It helps your skills and also makes your contract more secure.
            Bad idea - the answer is right but the approach is wrong. Think like a business.

You're making yourself part and parcel of the client's organisation. You're not there to do that, you're there to deliver what you are contracted to deliver. If there's work needs doing elsewhere, bid for it by all means, but keep it separate (a second schedule to your original contract will do).
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Tell them that there isn't enough work for you and that they're wasting their money paying you to be there full time.
              Offer to work 3 days a week until things get busier
              Whs
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
              X