• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do 99% of contractors opt out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do 99% of contractors opt out?

I eceived following from a pimp :-
    =================================
    As per EAA regulations we are required to ask as to whether you would like to opt out of the recent regulations. The opt out was negotiated by the PCG (www.pcg.org.uk) with the government in the interests of IT contractors and as such 99% of IT contractors take the option. Please find below some information on this.

Is it really as high as 99%?

Why not poll it?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I eceived following from a pimp :-
      As per EAA regulations we are required to ask as to whether you would like to opt out of the recent regulations. The opt out was negotiated by the PCG (www.pcg.org.uk) with the government in the interests of IT contractors and as such 99% of IT contractors take the option. Please find below some information on this.

Is it really as high as 99%?
      Doubt it. Probably 50% don't even understand it.

For one thing they are not meant to coerce you, and saying "99% of conractors do" could be seen as doing just that. Also, ask them (whoever they are) where they got we are required to ask as to whether you would like to opt out of the recent regulations from.
      Last edited by malvolio; 24 June 2008, 19:54.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Doubt it. Probably 50% don't even understand it.

For one thing they are not meant to coerce you, and saying "99% of conractors do" could be seen as doing just that. Also, ask them (whoever they are) where they got we are required to ask as to whether you would like to opt out of the recent regulations from.
        I am one of the 50%

It is haysft. Does "EAA regulations" means anything to you or shall I just ask them the question? (original post was "As per EAA regulations we are required to ask...").

I found an excellent post here http://forums.contractoruk.com/234771-post2.html which makes me wonder if it matters!

I intend to leave montpelier and go limited if I change contracts - I was hoping to join the PCG at that point....

Comment

Join the PCG anyway. If nothing else you get to read all the expert guides on things like the EAA regs...

In a nutshell, the EAA rules were written to protect agency temps, not rufty-tufty contractors. They protect you from various things that shouldn't really trouble contractors. If you are into business growth, they would actually inhibit things, hence the opt-out (plus, you look more like an employee if you demand employee-like protections). They require the agency to do more work and carry more risk, so opt out but only in exchange for a more IR35-friendly contract.

Furthermore, if we ever get this off the ground, I can see a way to use the opt out to transform the way the client/agency/contractor model works, to everyone's advantage. But that's a while away yet...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I don't opt out. Nothing against it I just didn't get the chance before meeting the client so whats the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              I don't opt out. Nothing against it I just didn't get the chance before meeting the client so whats the point.
              None at all. However the general idea is to opt out when you first apply for the post; you can always opt back in if you think it worthwhile
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
              X