• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No notice period?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No notice period?

Hi,

I'm currently in a contract and have ~6 weeks left to go, but have arranged a new contract offer that is too good to miss, looking at my contract there is no mention of a notice period so I was considering giving them 2 weeks notice and leaving.
    The question is, I'm unsure of why there is no notice period. Does it mean I can simply walk out? or does it mean that I in fact have to work the full contract length?
    Your opinions please...

Originally posted by SteveT View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently in a contract and have ~6 weeks left to go, but have arranged a new contract offer that is too good to miss, looking at my contract there is no mention of a notice period so I was considering giving them 2 weeks notice and leaving.
    The question is, I'm unsure of why there is no notice period. Does it mean I can simply walk out? or does it mean that I in fact have to work the full contract length?
    Your opinions please...
    It'll depend specifically on the contract. If there is no early termination clause it may mean there is no possibility of early termination. Or it may mean they don't care.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I would take it that you cannot give notice and should provide your services to the bitter end date.

Comment

even if you can walk i'd still suggest you talk... remember, an old client can become a renewed client in years to come but they might not be best pleased if you beat a hasty retreat.

Comment

I would agree - probably means you are supposed to stay till the last day.....

Comment

hmmm...
            I really would like to get out of this one, any idea what is the likely result of me handing in my notice anyway?

Comment

hmmm...
              I really would like to get out of this one, any idea what is the likely result of me handing in my notice anyway?
              Well, it'll probably piss them off, since you should really have spoken to them about it before taking such action...a straight resignation is usually the culmination of some failed attempt to make things better... then they may get onto the agent, and the agent will say that you don't have any contractual get-out since it's not in the contract. So now you have two people angry at you.

have you just tried asking them if it would be ok? You still have the fallback of 1. doing it anyway 2. 'breaking your leg'

Comment

All the options are still open... I've not told anyone and not signed anything for the new contract, its just they want me asap and I want to get out of this one as the new contract is a 25% rise.
                I would only be leaving 3 weeks early (on a 6 month contract) but I dont want that 3 weeks to be a deal breaker on the new job.

Comment

All the options are still open... I've not told anyone and not signed anything for the new contract, its just they want me asap and I want to get out of this one as the new contract is a 25% rise.
                  I would only be leaving 3 weeks early (on a 6 month contract) but I dont want that 3 weeks to be a deal breaker on the new job.
                  In my experience, if you have been a good worker, and there are no showstoppers left on the existing work, clients are unlikely to try to hold you to the grim end against your will - nobody wants someone worknig on a project who doesn't want to be there and who won't earn their keep.

Comment

<highhorse>
                    So if you hired a builder to do some work on your house but he said he was leaving 3 weeks before the work was completed because he'd got some better paying work. You'd be okay with that?
                    </highhorse>

Comment

Working...
                    X