• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do???

4 months into a 6 month gig contracted direct to the end client. Working away from home, ok rate, company generally ok but immediate boss is an absolute nightmare to work for (he's pretty aggressive and unreasonable in every respect!) and it's causing me issues with not sleeping, being generally unhappy etc. I'm seriously considering giving the required 4 weeks notice today as it takes me to my planned two week holiday and then forgo the remaining month on the contract. The issue is that I would work for the company again but never for this person. I think my options are:

1) Grin and bear it and not give notice - makes wifey happy but does nothing for me. Protects the income in these tough times.
    2) Give him the notice and tell him the real reasons why - feels like the right thing to do.
    3) Give him notice and make up some 'softer reasons' such as 'family issues with working away' or 'medical issues' - leaves it open for the future.
    4) Just walk out today - very unprofessional

I'm heading towards 3) but it seems a cowardly way out...what would you do / have you done in a similar situation?

B

Originally posted by bracken View Post
    1) Grin and bear it and not give notice - makes wifey happy but does nothing for me. Protects the income in these tough times.
    2) Give him the notice and tell him the real reasons why - feels like the right thing to do.
    3) Give him notice and make up some 'softer reasons' such as 'family issues with working away' or 'medical issues' - leaves it open for the future.

I'm heading towards 3) but it seems a cowardly way out...what would you do / have you done in a similar situation?

B
    For the benefit of contractors who may come after you, begin his education on why he can't treat freelancers the way mill owners used to treat the proles. Unfortunately the current market means you have to chew down and swallow more tulip that you would normally, but if you're not sleeping, it's gone too far IMHO. Give the month and tell him why.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

4 months into a 6 month gig contracted direct to the end client. Working away from home, ok rate, company generally ok but immediate boss is an absolute nightmare to work for (he's pretty aggressive and unreasonable in every respect!) and it's causing me issues with not sleeping, being generally unhappy etc. I'm seriously considering giving the required 4 weeks notice today as it takes me to my planned two week holiday and then forgo the remaining month on the contract. The issue is that I would work for the company again but never for this person. I think my options are:

B
      I never take work seriously enough to ever let it affect me this way. That doesn't help you though.

Can't you just utilise your independence as a contractor and tell the guy where to get off? Some people are bullies and when confronted like this often back down. Who knows maybe the next 2 months might be ok once you have a 'little chat' with him. If you're considering walking anyway what have you got to lose?

Comment

Promise to give the local junkie a tenner for smack if he tops this annoying boss, works every time

Comment

B
          I had a similar situation once. Sarcasm, micro managing, unreasonable behaviour, rudeness, you-contractors-this-you-contractors-that etc. etc. After a few months I started dreading work every monring and started getting moody. I realised life is too short and thought f&ck it, I'd rather be doing the gardening. So I took option 2. I wasn't going to pretend I had some issue. As it happens I didn't need to speak to the actual guy as it was his line manager that dealt with this stuff. He wasn't surprised, said no hard feelings but didn't try to get me to stay, problem was the guy was too essential to the business, plus of course he was a different person to his manager. I then learnt that was the 4th person in a row to go because of him. These people won't change and life is too short to be around them. I got a great gig a week later on 60% more money and stayed for 2 years! Everything lifted like a weight the minute I said I was leaving. This was also in bad times back in 2003/4 so I knew I was risking being off for some time (I had no dependents). Be sure you have the cash to keep you going though. I wouldn't make up medical issues and stuff. Just be honest but in a non-emotional, professional way if you can. e.g. this isn't the sort of working environment I am prepared to work in. Good luck.

Comment

I think I'd grin and bear it and take the cash whilst it's on offer. 2 months really isn't very long, and if you're taking 2 weeks off that's only six you have to work.

As for the sleepless nights, why do you care so much? You're going to be out of there in 6 weeks.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Politely and firmly stand up to him ! If you are asked to do something unreasonable say NO. Most bully boy managers will move onto giving someone else a hard time if you aren't playing along. Worst they can do is kick you out which is no big deal in the grander scheme of things.

Comment

Lewis makes some very good points and I'd generally go for that route. However you've got to bear in mind that you only have a little while left there so just get through it for the money. 6 weeks is not long at all, but the money could prove invaluable.

Start looking for other work now too - imagine that you're on a notice period and that you've been given lots of time to search for new work.

I nearly left this contract due to similar reasons to you, but fortunately I drilled through and am still here more than a year later. The dragon b1tch that used to "manage" us was booted out.

Comment

The problem here isn't the job, it's the person who you have to work with. It's obviously got to the point where it's having a physical and mental impact on you. I think the choices you have put forward are fairly reasonable, it's either put up with it and take the money, or refuse to let someone do this to you. It's hard to accept the latter because ultimately they are ******* you over in work, or if you leave it's because of them so ultimately they **** you over in that sense too.

I think the comments posted above are also sensible ones, life IS too short to put up with tulip like this, if your circumstances allow it (financially, etc), then do yourself a favour and part company asap. It's a big move to make and a big decision but you have to put yourself first. Use the time out to go and do something, plan a trip somewhere, or so.

If I was in your position this is the way I would deal with it - fortunately I'm the kind of person where if I end up confronted with this kind of situation I can put personal feelings and emotions to one side and state the facts to the person the way the situation is. I would ask for a meeting with them, 1 on 1, or with someone else present if you feel they are so unreasonable you cannot speak to them without a witness. Get them in a room and tell them the exact issues you have, the aggressive attitude, etc, and that it's making working with them very difficult. You will get one of two responses, either they realise the problem and that you are prepared to put it to them, in which case they may reconsider their actions, or you will get denial and they will continue as if the problem is yours. If this happens then consider your own options which is you are in an impossible situation and give them your notice. At least you gave them the opportunity to do something about it, and you will feel better knowing that you 'put it to them' rather than just left without confronting the situation. You are within YOUR RIGHTS to do this, and you should not fear that someones aggressive attitude takes away those rights.
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Happened to me before so I sorted a new gig first and then gave notice that I wouldn't be coming back after my hols. Explained issues to the big boss but the pain in the arse was contracted through him....I wasn't the first contractor to leave this way and the other guy had been there for 3 years.....
                    Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
                    X