• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

taking days off and holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So on the first day, when they've not quite got things together, after lunch, do what I did.

Tell them that if they've nothing substantive for you to do, you're quite happy to go away for the afternoon.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      So on the first day, when they've not quite got things together, after lunch, do what I did.

Tell them that if they've nothing substantive for you to do, you're quite happy to go away for the afternoon.
      I've done that before
      Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
      "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
      Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Originally posted by Integrity View Post
        This is absolutely correct!
        Absolutely and even before day one, e.g. at selection process, you need to be talking about the services provided, agreeing periods of absence where the services can't be provided, agreeing who notifues who, talk about your company (i.e. "yes my company can provide those services too" ) rather than "Yes I can do SQL and work in your SQL team along with your SQL permies").

The expectations, terminology has to be right from day one and before.

If you do this, you find it easy to be a consultant from a consultancy and not a temp employee from an agency.

you'll also find the rates a lot higher for the same work too!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Absolutely and even before day one, e.g. at selection process, you need to be talking about the services provided, agreeing periods of absence where the services can't be provided, agreeing who notifues who, talk about your company (i.e. "yes my company can provide those services too" ) rather than "Yes I can do SQL and work in your SQL team along with your SQL permies").

The expectations, terminology has to be right from day one and before.

If you do this, you find it easy to be a consultant from a consultancy and not a temp employee from an agency.

you'll also find the rates a lot higher for the same work too!

You won't get any argument from me on this.

Comment

Padbasher,

What is the difference between "authorization and agreement" and getting your line manager's consent?

Do these not amount to the same thing?

P

Comment

2 threads on the same subject. How odd!

Anyway, my contract manager requested all the contractors in the team (6 of us) to make our Xmas leave requests last year on the relevant form.

I refused and told him, politely, that I didnt think contractors should do any such thing. I was happy to tell him which days I would be off but didnt intend filling in any 'leave request' as permies did.

He agreed with me and said ok. None of the other contractors spoke up. So he made then complete the form!

Laugh? I nearly wept.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
              X