• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covering Maternity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covering Maternity

I have a possible contract in the pipeline which the client has told me will be to cover maternity leave, with no specific project mentioned.

From the little I know about IR35 proof contracts, this sounds as though I would be hard pressed to construct a contract which get me out of IR35.

Has anybody got any experience of covering for maternity leave and not being subject to IR35 ?

Grateful for any advice.

I'd say your right - doing a permie's 9-5 job while they are away. Would be difficult to argue being outside IR35.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Comment

IR35 is not as simple as that

It may not be IR35 caught if you approach it right, get some professional advice.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Or just talk to the client, tell them that due to the nature of the work it will cost you more to do this role than any other you could take instead. Decide on a rate that 'at the end of the day' leaves you with the amount of cash (after tax) that you require, and if its too steep for their pockets just walk away.

Thats the reality things cost an amount, and if you can't afford it you have three choices.

1. Negotiate ia discount
          2. Get more money
          3. Find a cheaper supplier

Comment

Vetran,

How about if I word my contract to state that my company will provide a person of a certain amount of experience to cover for a set time period ?

Comment

Working...
            X