• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies still requesting SC/DV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    since he will be aware of what you are seeing and what you are allowed to see and will keep away from you anything you aren't allowed to see.
    Sorry Mal, but in certain circumstances, a very small number of projects will not allow the manager to do this.

PS - Changed what I said to cover my backside!!!
    Last edited by Weltchy; 30 June 2008, 09:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
      Sorry Mal, but in certain circumstances, a very small number of projects will not allow the manager to do this.

PS - Changed what I said to cover my backside!!!
      Yes, and a certain number of roles - DBA, Sysadmin, Network manager - can't have informed oversight, so are also out of scope and are permited to require pre-clearance under the rules. But the CO themselves agree these are in the minority.

Put it this way: there was a big and necessary service programme that died because they couldn't get cleared people in to train the project staff on best practice service management prinicples. These people didn't need to be on site, they didn't even have to know who the client was to do the job required, so why did they need to be cleared?
      Last edited by malvolio; 30 June 2008, 10:20.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Yes, and a certain number of roles - DBA, Sysadmin, Network manager - can't have informed oversight, so are also out of scope and are permited to require pre-clearance under the rules. But the CO themselves agree these are in the minority.

Put it this way: there was a big service programme that dies because they couldn't get cleared people in to train the project staff on best practice service management prinicples. These people didn't need to be on site, they didn't even have to know who the client was to do the job required, so why did they need to be cleared?
        Agreed. Must admit, as I was writing my reply, I was biased toward a situation where the percentages would be quite small, mainly based on my own prior experience of clearance.

Comment

It's not just tech roles that require clearance to be in place to work effectively. Try to use a Business Analyst on some projects and limit him/her from seeing relevant Secret documents and see how far you get. Same goes for many other project team roles for that matter including PM.

This year SC clearances have taken 6-8 weeks and I'm informed that DV in less than 4 months is just about impossible.

While it may not be proper for a role to be advertised as must already having clearance as a requirement, let's face it when you want a Contractor you typically want the person in a couple of weeks at most and potentially having to give said Contractor a minder is unnecessary cost. As a PM I wouldn't ever waste my budget on resources that I couldn't fully utilise independant of oversight.

Incidentally being ex military typically slows down clearance rather than speeding it up.

Comment

No no no!! Your manager can make a risk assessment that you are likely to get cleared, and can therefore access cleared material, since he will be aware of what you are seeing and what you are allowed to see and will keep away from you anything you aren't allowed to see. You can get quite a long way into writing a programme before you have to see the live source data, after all.

This whole thing about sitting in a box until cleared is a complete myth. It doesn't happpen.
            You might be right that it doesn't happen ANYMORE, but I can assure you it did used to be the rule!

Been there, twice.

tim

Comment

This is a good one!
              Position: Solutions Architect
              Skills: Solutions Architect needed in the london are . A solutions
              architect is required to work an initial 6-month contract, based in the
              London area. SC Clearance, DV Clearance, MOD Cleared, Home Office
              Cleared, Data Architect, Data Warehousing, ETL, Extract/Transform/Load,
              Data Modelling, Oracle, SQL, Business Objects, SOA, XML, Data Quality.
              My Client, a major Government organisation, is currently looking to
              recruit an experienced SC Cleared Data Architect, to work an initial
              6-month contract based...
              Rate: £700.00 - £701 per day
              Advertiser: Spring Technology
              Business Type: Employment Business
              Phone: 0121 788 6600
              Fax: 0121 788 6830
              Email: mailto:[email protected]
              Ref: JS231023-A
              Date: 11/07/2008 20:37:49

Comment

Working...
              X