• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Glasgow

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wait, I think I figured it out. Financial Services in Edinburgh. Phew!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
      As someone who has been in this game since the early 90s, I've seen recessions come and go, (and had to go permie now and again to cover the mortgage) and I know that volume is where it's at, not point rates.
      Ahh get back to playing GH and tending your chickens you old moaner you.

;o)
      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
      "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
        Ahh get back to playing GH and tending your chickens you old moaner you. ;o)
        Outed by a man with an upside down beard! *air guitar* take that!
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Well i've been contracting in scotland for 2.5 years and have never been without a contract, so it just depends. I would say though that most contractors i know in scotland get placed by word of mouth, through people or recruiters that have worked with them. I frequently get a call from recruters that have placed me asking if i know anyone for a certain role. Things do pop up on jobserve but its not representative of the real amount of vacanices out there. Scotland is very very small and i keep working with the same people over and over again. Rates arent so dismal either, especially since outside of edi its cheaper to live than down south - most pm/ba's know are on between 350 -450 with the odd FS PM on over 500. My advise is batter down the agencies for face to face meetings. get your name and face known. Another option is take a permie role with the likes of RBS, NAG, Sky (ALWAYS hiring, mainly cos its a tough place to work!), that gives you the contacts for contracting.
          Good Luck!

Comment

By the way, we're needing contract service managers/itil people at the moment. cant send you a personal message but we only recruit through HAYS edinburgh so pop them your CV, slanting it towards SM. Its public sector.
            Last edited by Meerkat; 5 June 2008, 10:48.

Comment

Hoots the noo
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Meerkat View Post
                Well i've been contracting in scotland for 2.5 years and have never been without a contract, so it just depends. I would say though that most contractors i know in scotland get placed by word of mouth, through people or recruiters that have worked with them. I frequently get a call from recruters that have placed me asking if i know anyone for a certain role. Things do pop up on jobserve but its not representative of the real amount of vacanices out there. Scotland is very very small and i keep working with the same people over and over again. Rates arent so dismal either, especially since outside of edi its cheaper to live than down south - most pm/ba's know are on between 350 -450 with the odd FS PM on over 500. My advise is batter down the agencies for face to face meetings. get your name and face known. Another option is take a permie role with the likes of RBS, NAG, Sky (ALWAYS hiring, mainly cos its a tough place to work!), that gives you the contacts for contracting.
                Good Luck!
                Spot on. Apart from the Permie chat <shivers>

Comment

Meerkat - searched the Hays site and didn't see anything like that displayed. However, am already registered with them and will give them a call. Thanks, all good info.
                  There's a new one up today for IT SD Analysts - for 11.50/hr. Holey moley?..

Comment

Working...
                  X