• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been asked for a job that agent already sent me for

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been asked for a job that agent already sent me for

Fairly new to this contracting business and wanted some advice...I spoke to an agent a week ago about a job somewhere I'd really like to work. He asked me to reply to an email agreeing that only he could represent me and to the rate he'd specified. Which I did. He told me he'd call me back in an hour to discuss, but he didn't.

A few days later someone from the company contacted me (I used to work with this guy) and said there was a job there. I think it's the same department. I told him that I'm sure an agent had put me forward, but he reckoned unlikely. So then I got asked to come for an interview.

What should I do? Come clean at the interview just to be safe? It's not my contact interviewing me. Ring the agent to tell him? I'm pretty sure the agent is also under-cutting me on the daily rate by about £100, as another agent told me the rates for this company previously.

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
    Fairly new to this contracting business and wanted some advice...I spoke to an agent a week ago about a job somewhere I'd really like to work. He asked me to reply to an email agreeing that only he could represent me and to the rate he'd specified. Which I did. He told me he'd call me back in an hour to discuss, but he didn't.

A few days later someone from the company contacted me (I used to work with this guy) and said there was a job there. I think it's the same department. I told him that I'm sure an agent had put me forward, but he reckoned unlikely. So then I got asked to come for an interview.

What should I do? Come clean at the interview just to be safe? It's not my contact interviewing me. Ring the agent to tell him? I'm pretty sure the agent is also under-cutting me on the daily rate by about £100, as another agent told me the rates for this company previously.
    Send email to agency, that, as you've had no response from him in the past week, even though he said he'd call you back within the hour, he may no longer act as your representative.

Go to interview. Get contract. Go direct if possible. If not, you could call the agent and tell him you want to use his services. Or another agency.

IANAL, but I can't really see the first email having any force. I'm not convinced that it constitutes a contract. And in any case, his lack of response shows that he's not fulfilled his side of "representing you".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post

Is your mate part of the hiring company? If not - I would chat to him.

Personally I would be tempted to get the job - then sort out the rest. I reckon client will sort out agency.

Next time - accept subject to being put forward for the job. Agencies like to say you are covered to stop competition (sometimes they can only put forward x CVs each).

Comment

Screw the agency, if they can't be arsed putting you forward then why should you suffer?

I've had that before - have to remember that some agents are just lazy, useless winkers. Look out for #1 for sure they aren't looking out for you.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Send an e-mail to the first agency withdrawing your permission for them to represent you. Then go with the second agency.

Comment

Working...
          X