• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is agent taking the mick.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is agent taking the mick.

I had an interview last week for a contract with multiple positions, The client is looking for about 3-6 people in total.
    Agent has said they thought i was a good candidate but are still interviewing other candidates before making an offer.
    Now after speaking to the agent they are saying that is "still awaiting approval" due to end of year finances.
    Surly approval to hire was obtained before looking for people ?

Assume everything they say is complete bollocks.

I always ask a few questions about how soon they'd need me to start and what status the project is at, when at the interview.

Keep your options open and keep looking until you've actually got the contract in front of you.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

An interview with the client, right?

Could be the agent stalling, but it is not uncommon for budgets to be muddled with and headcounts to be frozen with little notice, especially in times like these (is the client a bank?)

Has happened to me -- had an interview, client liked me and wanted to take me on but there was a head count freeze. A week later they called and said the freeze was over but the role was now a permy role. <<Runaway!!>>
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Gigs get pulled all the time for a multitude of reasons.

I went to an interview last year, I didn't hear back for a few weeks. Assumed I hadn't landed the role. Pimp calls up and says I was in the frame, but the contract position had been pulled by the client, due to "internal re-organisation".

Then again, pimp may have been lying.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
          An interview with the client, right?

Could be the agent stalling, but it is not uncommon for budgets to be muddled with and headcounts to be frozen with little notice, especially in times like these (is the client a bank?)

Has happened to me -- had an interview, client liked me and wanted to take me on but there was a head count freeze. A week later they called and said the freeze was over but the role was now a permy role. <<Runaway!!>>
          Yep interview with client , indirectly for a bank yes, but the client is providing services for the bank.

Sounds to me if the pimp is trying to find people who will work for a lower rate.

Comment

The only time I believe any agent is when he says "you've got the job" and then only when I've got the contract in front of me and I'm ready to sign it.
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

I've had one pulled AFTER I got the contract!!
              I worked for a reseller once - the number of jobs that "nearly" came to us and got pulled at the last minute by the client was very high. Frequently budget / money issues. Clients decide for a variety of reasons they would rather use the existing internal staff - esp if they dont pay overtime but make them work it.

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
                Not necessarily, I've known managers interview for roles before they have got the budget for them.

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
                  I had an interview last week for a contract with multiple positions, The client is looking for about 3-6 people in total.
                  Agent has said they thought i was a good candidate but are still interviewing other candidates before making an offer.
                  Now after speaking to the agent they are saying that is "still awaiting approval" due to end of year finances.
                  you could try the "I have another job offer - I must know now" routine. Not good if they say "take the other offer"...

Comment

Agent could be up to something or not. Sure thing at this precise moment is that there is no job for you. If it changes for the better the agent will be over you like a bad rash. Get into the mindset of continuing contract applications as normal until you have a countersigned contract or have begun at the client site. There id no need to keep followng up progress with agents. Just assume no news = no job at that instance.

Comment

Working...
                    X