• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractor holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contractor holidays

Just had this today on an internal email - WTF?? Funny kind of rate cut!

Please note that the company policy has changed to enforce London IT contractors to take a minimum 6 weeks annual leave

Looks like D&C for sure

Minimum 6 weeks
    Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

D&C indeed.

Comment

Quote:
        Please note that the company policy has changed to enforce London IT contractors to take a minimum 6 weeks annual leave
        You can take 6 weeks annual leave from your company. During that time a substitute will be fulfilling the contract.

Comment

Sounds like budget control if you ask me.

Comment

you want to all get together and all book the 6wks off at the same time!
            I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

This is done to ensure a good work life balance, 'Elf & Safey and all that. A kind of tachograph for office based workers, to enforce rest periods. Absolutely nothing to do with cost cutting

Do the permies have 6 weeks hols as well? What if it's a 3 month contract. Do you have to take 1.5 weeks. Wonder how they would enforce this, maybe by having a 3 week gap between 6 month renewals for example. Maybe it's paid holiday! Maybe when you signed that renewal, you were actually signing a permanent contract of employment

HMRC will certainly think so

Comment

It's none of their concern; you are not subject to their HR or H&S policies (other than safety at work ones, natch). It represents a unacceptable degree of D&C, as has been said, and is effectively a major contractual change arbitrarily reducing your contract value by that amount that cannot be imposed unilaterally.

You could always make an agreement with them to pay you in full for six weeks a year or a proportion thereof while you take holidays but (a) they won't and (b) that blows MOO.

So tell 'em to go away and play in their own sandpit.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  So tell 'em to go away and play in their own sandpit.
                  All well and good int theory - just expect a response of "we'll get someone else then". Buyers market at the moment.
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

We'll see. This shouldn't affect me until my next renewal which is 6 months away, and the quote posted was from the client PM so not "official languauge".
                    If I remember to I'll update nearer the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X