• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prompting client for extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DS24 View Post
    I wouldn't send an email, to be honest - have a chat with the person that you know at the client who would make the decision. An email giving them the date you are leaving and asking about handover may well give the impression that you want to leave, when that's not the case.
    Ditto.

Think about getting a good place and time for a chat with your client. (Spot the qualified counsellor in this post )

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Just speak to your agent - they'll do all the running for you...
      I concur. There is no direct relationship between yourself and the client. I always deal only with the agent on renewals but then, I know others do it differently...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        I concur. There is no direct relationship between yourself and the client. I always deal only with the agent on renewals but then, I know others do it differently...

I can't believe people do that. Aren't you worried it makes you look kind of foolish and weak? I'd feel insulted if my client contact asked the agent to ask me something rather than just discussing it with me, and I think the same works in reverse.

The only time I've involved the agent at all is when I was trying to get an increase (successfully), and that's because I didn't really have a choice as I don't know their cut. Even then, I broached the subject of an increase with the client first.

There may be no legal relationship between you and the client, but building a working relationship with the client is what gets you the extension.

As others have said, you don't need to discuss an extension, but there's usually oppurtunities (i.e. meetings) where you can remind them of the time you have left.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I dont think an agent ever told me about an extension. The client always spoke to me directly first.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've had an agency unaware of the fact that they'd renewed me two months previously. Even though I'd negotiated an increase of rate, and had been weekly invoicing and been paid.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I dont think an agent ever told me about an extension. The client always spoke to me directly first.
              I've had the opposite experience of this. Both times my contract has been extended, the agency always rang me to see if I was interested in getting extended. The second time I had to ring them to chase them about the paperwork but it was always them I spoke to rather than the client (even though the agent has representatives on-site).
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                There may be no legal relationship between you and the client, but building a working relationship with the client is what gets you the extension.
                Couldn't agree more. All work discussions are directly with the client obviously. Any contractual discussion are with the entity I have the contract with.
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                  Couldn't agree more. All work discussions are directly with the client obviously. Any contractual discussion are with the entity I have the contract with.
                  I would agree the extension with the client, then leave any rate negotiation to the agency to do.

And obviously get the agency to do the paperwork for me
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The last two times I've had the agent ring me up to ask me if I know whether the client will be renewing!

Both times I've already had it worked out so I've told them. May be slightly different for me though as the agency are on PSL and fixed margin.

I've always negotiated rate increases directly with the client.

Comment

Working...
                    X