• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie Q: 'Certification' over 'Experience'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Q: 'Certification' over 'Experience'

Hi All,

What a great forum this is, Strong Work!

I am currently undergoing the transition from "permie" to contractor. I have one main question for the experienced contractors:

Do potential clients view qualifications/accreditations/certifications, etc more important than actual 'on-the-job' experience; or vice-versa?

The reason that I ask is:

I have 10 years (plus) of Windows server experience - NT through to 2003
    3 Years of VMware experience
    4 Years of Citrix experience
    Numerous years VB, ASP, SQL development experience

However I have just recently been accredited as MCSA, CCA and VCP.

I would like to maximise my potential as per:

http://www.contractoruk.com/first_ti...e_good_cv.html

But just wondered whether I should lean toward experience or qualifications?

What is the overall consensus?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

Without wanting to sound too much like a fence sitter. As a PM the pimps look for Prince2 qualifications as a short-cut to reading the cv. The client tends towards experience as a guide

Comment

Wot he said ^^^

The tools that the lazy pimps use pick up key phrases from your CV.

The client actually reads it.
      If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

I always look for proof people can do the job in the real world first . I've worked with too many highly certified noddies to put too much credence into letters after the name unless they are clear indicators that someone has been trained in a specific technical discipline (and that doesn't include Windoze or Un*x)
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Experience, every time. The only qualifications I place a value on are degree level (chartered/fellow status with BCS, CIPS or similar).
          Plan A is located just about here.
          If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

When I look to get people into a team I want experience over qualifications.

Sometimes all it proves is they have the ability to do really well at tests. Not how to apply it it in the real world

Comment

Thanks very much for your input.

I will attempt to combine both elements within my CV.

I look forward to positing more on this forum, so far it has been a very valuable resource to be in my setup phase.

Regards,
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Area-51 View Post
                But just wondered whether I should lean toward experience or qualifications?
                There is no right answer at the moment.

Some people actually consider qualifications and letters after one's name as a BAD thing - showing insecurity, an academic approach and non-practitioner mind-set.

But some people will not consider applications from people without a 2nd degree, or at least a 1st class honours degree.

For some roles, a particular qualification is essential: about half of PM jobs have PRINCE2 as entry level - but the other half couldn't care less. Some people intentionally reject PRINCE2 Practitioners.

The same applies to the MS certifications: in some places they are entry-level essentials, in others they will prevent you being taken on.

I sat and scratched my head for ages about this and realised: it is up to you. Who do you want to work for? Academics? Public sector? Dynamic go-getters? Bull-tulipters?

What sort of person are you? Academic? Hands-on? Happy to do a OU degree? Can't be arsed filling in a crossword?

Eight years ago I decided to convert myself from a hands-on, unqualified, very experienced, tulip-hot and unemployed nearly-40 techie into a qualified, professional, project manager on damn good money. I now have a page on my CV just for training, qualifications and my professional standing. As a consequence, I now get brief interviews for public sector roles and get offered them but can no longer get a private sector interview at all.

Sadly, the miracles I performed when doing 100 hours a week as a techie now just amount to about three bullet points.

What sort of person do you want to come across as? I would recommend you work out what kind of person you want to be. I decided I could wear a smart suit, sit on professional body committees, that I would put aside a £3,000 per year personal training budget and become a post-40 year old IT bod who can stay in the industry I want to work in for another ten or 20 years.

While you're thinking, have a look at SFIA.

Mind you, I'd rather be filling in COBOL coding sheets coding year-end processes that can run in a mere 8 hours but nobody will pay me to do that any more.
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Wow,

Thanks for all the useful information.

I was happy to get my first post on CUK, and thankful that people will offer up some sound advice.

As I stated I am a newbie to contracting, and whilst I consider myself to have the get up and go to source/investigate areas for myself, I also find it very useful to ask for 360-degree feedback on the current industries stance.

In answer to your question -

I would say that I am for sure a hands-on techie, and feel that experience is the key to being able to put the theory into practice. However I would also state that a sound grounding of theory is vitally important, especially when discussing options, suggesting possible avenues for clients to persue, and therefore having some form of accreditation/qualifications is important.

Thanks for your time.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Area-51 View Post
                    Wow,

Thanks for all the useful information.

I was happy to get my first post on CUK, and thankful that people will offer up some sound advice.

As I stated I am a newbie to contracting, and whilst I consider myself to have the get up and go to source/investigate areas for myself, I also find it very useful to ask for 360-degree feedback on the current industries stance.

In answer to your question -

I would say that I am for sure a hands-on techie, and feel that experience is the key to being able to put the theory into practice. However I would also state that a sound grounding of theory is vitally important, especially when discussing options, suggesting possible avenues for clients to persue, and therefore having some form of accreditation/qualifications is important.

Thanks for your time.

Andy
                    You are a natural-born PM. Good work.

HTH
                    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Working...
                    X