• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davley2 View Post
    faqqer and malvolvio....you have given me no meaningful advice...just a load of negativity...you are the kind of people who would never out of your comfort zone, take a risk to achieve something great...continue to sit on these contractor boards ...your own little worlds.
    Running £250m programmes and 100 staff is hardly comfort zone. And the advice, while harshly said, is very accurate and based on several years' research into the area and a lot of discussions with agencies, clients and other contractors. So sorry if you won't listen to expert opinon, but that's not my problem. I hope you succeed but you really need to do some risk analysis and CBAs first before you waste too much time and money.

Any fool can build a website, even me. Getting crticial mass in a crowded market with a clear amd totally dominant market leader is the hard part. That's where you will fall down
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Can't see how you can possibly fail. I mean, you've done sod all market research, you won't take advice, you don't understand the market, you don't understand the product, you don't understand the financials, you have a carppy website and no idea who your clients are.

We look forward to you being a roaring success.
      We know malv breaths fire, but that's absolutely spot on and is only pointing out the obvious to him really. Doomed.

Watch this project work...the more people say it skillect.com wont work, the more determined I am to prove them wrong
      I hope you do turn it into something special. You've got some serious work ahead of you though before theres even a chance that will happen. I'll pass by next year and see if the lights are still on.
      Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

davley2: Every new product or service that has ever been created that has been a success has offered a major benefit to its potential users that has not been offered by anyone else. Name me one that has not done this.
        Your website offers nothing new apart from the fact that it is "dedicated to contractors". This is a feature not a benefit. As a contractor I can get this benefit by selecting the "contract" option in the "contract/permanent" pop-up menu on jobserve.com

Give up this idea - you're wasting your time. Get a new contract.
        I'm sorry to be harsh but your site has no redeeming features at all. Bin it.

Background info: I think the idea of starting a business is in fashion at the moment. I myself have spent a significant amount of time starting a couple of schemes that with the benefit of hindsight were doomed to failure mainly for the reasons above. And I've learned from those mistakes.
        Last edited by KentPhilip; 13 February 2008, 00:09.

Comment

boooring eh? Watch this project work...the more people say it skillect.com wont work, the more determined I am to prove them wrong
          Go and see BusinessLink and ask them to tell you how to produce a Business Case.

Do so.

It will save you a lot of time and money.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            You need to work on your Joomla skin, the Contact Us link jumps under the Home link when you click on contract in Firefox...

Secondly hire a graphic designer, it looks booooorring,.
            boooring eh? Watch this project work...the more people say it skillect.com wont work, the more determined I am to prove them wrong
            I haven't said it won't work, (although I will be very surprised if you can make money out of this) I have given constructive criticism.

The Contact Us link is b0rked and needs fixing and you also need to get a graphic designer to give your site the once over. You will never be taken seriously if you do not have a site that looks like it has been cobbled together in one weekend, you need to project a professional image.

Currently the graphics are boring and generally quite crappy. You may not like the criticism but that doesn't mean it is not true or without value.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
              Background info: I think the idea of starting a business is in fashion at the moment. I myself have spent a significant amount of time starting a couple of schemes that with the benefit of hindsight were doomed to failure mainly for the reasons above. And I've learned from those mistakes.
              The good thing resulting from your failures, though, is that you're more likely to succeed in future. There's a school of thought stating that a good proportion of successful businessmen/women only became successful on their third or fourth attempt.

It's not difficult to see that the OP is likely to be doomed to failure on this attempt, but maybe it'll bring him one step closer to learning the lessons required for eventual success. That's partly what an entrepreneurial attitude is about.

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                The good thing resulting from your failures, though, is that you're more likely to succeed in future. There's a school of thought stating that a good proportion of successful businessmen/women only became successful on their third or fourth attempt.

It's not difficult to see that the OP is likely to be doomed to failure on this attempt, but maybe it'll bring him one step closer to learning the lessons required for eventual success. That's partly what an entrepreneurial attitude is about.
                Fully agree- - but some evidence he's listening would be an encouraging start...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

hi

malvolvio...if i wasn't willing to take advice or suggestions, i wouldn't have posted anything in the first place ok

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Fully agree- - but some evidence he's listening would be an encouraging start...
                      Many CUK newbies have that stubborn streak. I'm sure he'll be considerably more receptive once you lot have spent a bit more time wearing him down.

Either that or he'll end up being another of those posters who declare that they're leaving because the CUK crowd are sarcastic, spiteful, lacking in knowledge and a general waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X