• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract notice period

My contract has a 4 week notice period.

My new client wants an immediate start. I would like to oblige

My existing contract doesn't specify any individual, it just says 'Developer'. No qualification or substitution clause.

What would you do?

Originally posted by dude69 View Post
    My contract has a 4 week notice period.

My new client wants an immediate start. I would like to oblige

My existing contract doesn't specify any individual, it just says 'Developer'. No qualification or substitution clause.

What would you do?
    Take it. Better to be caught than be without work unnecessarily which could cost you more in lost fees than the extra tax you might pay. You could try negotiating some of the weaker clauses but don't hold your breath and don't risk losing the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
      Take it. Better to be caught than be without work unnecessarily which could cost you more in lost fees than the extra tax you might pay. You could try negotiating some of the weaker clauses but don't hold your breath and don't risk losing the gig.
      I'm taking the job no doubt, another £100/day will be handy.

Only issue is IR35 not sure how obliging they will be, though TBH most people seem to ignore that and hope for the best.

I guess I will negotiate with the existing client for 2 weeks or something.

The new client will wait, but doesn't want to as it will cost them a lot of money.

Comment

Get a compromise on the "immediate start". Clients that want an immediate start are usually happy with a quick 1-2 day long burst of estimating or firefighting and a promise to return in the near future. Slowly ramp up your presence at the new client while handing over the old client project to your subcontractor.

Comment

You don't want notice periods in your contracts - see the latest IR35 losses for more information.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
            You don't want notice periods in your contracts - see the latest IR35 losses for more information.
            I think the problem there was the mutuality - lack of immediate termination ability by the client

Comment

Take a couple of weeks off sick from job 1

Start job 2.

Take a couple of weeks off sick from Job 2

Finish off job 1.

Sorted

(actually, it's ****ing hard to make this work out right)

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                Take a couple of weeks off sick from job 1

Start job 2.

Take a couple of weeks off sick from Job 2

Finish off job 1.

Sorted

(actually, it's ****ing hard to make this work out right)

tim

I will take the sick from job 1, and tell job 2 I can't start full time until 4 weeks elapsed.

Comment

I had exactly the same problem last year. here's what I did...
                  - told company A I was taking paternity leave
                  - told company B I would start part time and ramp up
                  - told the wife "of course I can't take time off, are you crazy? we've got an extra mouth to feed!"

So, my advice is to have a baby.....
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
                  X