• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using your own equipment on site

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using your own equipment on site

What your guys take on this?

I know its a good IR35 issue but what happens in reality?

Up until now I've always used the clients supplied equipment, but I much prefer to use my own.

My current contract I started using their equipment but it was dire, (blue screens, tulip spec etc etc) so I started using my own laptop. It was fine for a while but now IT have started moaning about it not being company equipment blah blah.

Even though their own employees take laptops home and bring them in with virusus lol

Anyway is it possible to argue this case with the client or what?

Originally posted by dotnetter View Post
    What your guys take on this?

I know its a good IR35 issue but what happens in reality?

Up until now I've always used the clients supplied equipment, but I much prefer to use my own.

My current contract I started using their equipment but it was dire, (blue screens, tulip spec etc etc) so I started using my own laptop. It was fine for a while but now IT have started moaning about it not being company equipment blah blah.

Even though their own employees take laptops home and bring them in with virusus lol

Anyway is it possible to argue this case with the client or what?

If you're connecting your machine to their network, no, probably not.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Do a search, this has been done to death many times.

Short answer, No don't expect to use your kit on thier network.

If you were the system admin would you let some contractor come in and plug his machine with god knows what on it into your network??

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        Do a search, this has been done to death many times.

Short answer, No don't expect to use your kit on thier network.

If you were the system admin would you let some contractor come in and plug his machine with god knows what on it into your network??
        Yeah if they was using the companies AV plus connecting as a domain user where group policies control teh client machine.

Whats the difference between my laptop and a permies laptop?

Comment

You've answered the question yourself -
          The laptops are not the employees but the employers. That's the difference.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yeah if they was using the companies AV plus connecting as a domain user where group policies control teh client machine.

That's why you aren't a sys admin

The sys admin has the ability to get into the permies laptop and do anything he wants to it. He can push out windows updates to make sure the whole company is running the exact same version of windows. He can update and modify AV settings, he can install new programs and delete old ones he can clear off data on it if he wants. He has all the power and control over everything in his network.

If a permie does something to thier laptop that screws up the network he can come down on them like a ton of bricks, he can take thier laptop away from them, etc, etc.

Can he do this to your laptop? No. What if somethign on your laptop causes a huge problem on his network? It is him who gets the blame for letting your laptop on the network in the first place.

If you really can't understand why the sys admin would have a problem with you putting your laptop on his network there really isn't much point discussing it further.

By the way mind if I come and plug into your network sometime? It will be fine, honest guvnor.....

Comment

On one site I used to contract at, some of the contractors used to bring in their laptops as a means of trying to tick a box on the outside IR35 status as well as circumventing the site's draconian measures of not allowing contractors to use the internet on their (clients') PCs.

The client eventually banned all personal electronic devices used by contractors while onsite. Including the use of mobile phones.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I do know what your saying but it kind of pisses me off a bit.

Why not put it in a contract that they can sue me if I mess their network? After all isn't that covered by my PI insurance?

Also at some point there needs to be a level of trust between the admins guys and developers. Sure I could mess up the network, but I could do that on a company machine or I could do many things but I'm not that stupid.

Ah I dunno I suppose your right, I need to start being a bit more choosey about my contracts in the future as I think being able to use my own equipment makes the job so much easier and more enjoyable. My productivity is so much hight when I have all the tools I need wherever I go rather than using some poxy two bob machine that been around the block more times than single mother from southend.

Comment

I do know what your saying but it kind of pisses me off a bit.

Why not put it in a contract that they can sue me if I mess their network? After all isn't that covered by my PI insurance?

Also at some point there needs to be a level of trust between the admins guys and developers. Sure I could mess up the network, but I could do that on a company machine or I could do many things but I'm not that stupid.

Ah I dunno I suppose your right, I need to start being a bit more choosey about my contracts in the future as I think being able to use my own equipment makes the job so much easier and more enjoyable. My productivity is so much hight when I have all the tools I need wherever I go rather than using some poxy two bob machine that been around the block more times than single mother from southend.
                  Unless you're direct probably because they don't have a contract with you. They have a contract with your agency, and there is no way in hell the agency is going to let themselves be potentially liable for anything like that.

Not to mention, if your only basis for not being IR35 caught is that you drag your laptop into work, you probably have issues anyway.....

(BTW it's not a good IR35 issue because most companies will not allow machines from external sources onto thier networks. I've not come across one that will in the past 7 years)

Comment

No I do try and do as much as possible to stay outside IR35 but my point is things like this don't help.

It hard because we all know the score and we know clients treat us like employees and we have to do our best not to let it happen but I don't know why it has to be so hard!

Comment

Working...
                    X