• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best time to start looking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best time to start looking?

Current gig ends on 1st Feb.

Don't want to annoy client with phone ringing and wondering out, want to remain focussed.

However, I want to go from one local (ish!!) one to another gig where I don't have to work away for more than an overnight or two.

Realistically, what is the best way for engaging with the pimps? I mean, are they likely to say what I want to hear then ignore me if looking too early?

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I mean, are they likely to say what I want to hear then ignore me if looking too early?
    Err, yes.

Comment

No point starting to look unless you're immediately available or within a week or two of the contract ending. Occasionally a client will wait but you have to be either a known contractor that they like or offer some mad skillz

Comment

Put your available date on jobserve etc.
        I still get mails from agents, CV has not been active for 5-6 months. I send a quick reply any say I am available from March 08.

If your looking for something to do until the second week in Jan. (when you can start applying for jobs) get you CV up to date

HTH
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I always tell the client in last four weeks that i'm starting to look for other employment. This gives them a kick up the ass to extend my contract if they want me and to know that i could be taking a am/pm of soon for interviews. Every client i have been with so far have been very good with this. I always tell pimps that i'm available now as in some cases it normally takes 3 weeks to actually get a start date and worst case you can say your on holiday for one extra week.

My contract ends in April but my first born is due then so won't be looking for any contracts going to have time off with my new family

Good Luck
          Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
            My contract ends in April but my first born is due then so won't be looking for any contracts going to have time off with my new family
            Ditto!! Except that it is our second child..

Back to the OP: I normally start looking when I have 4 weeks to go, after calling the current pimp and telling him to find out if the client wants to extend.. When I tell the agent my availability is 4 weeks, they normally have some comment about it being a bit far in the future, at which point I remind them that this seems to be the average amount of time it takes them to get the paperwork sorted.. Has worked for me so far (although I have pushed it to 6 weeks)..
            The "Fit" hits the "Shan"

Comment

Originally posted by KevinS View Post
              Ditto!! Except that it is our second child..

Back to the OP: I normally start looking when I have 4 weeks to go, after calling the current pimp and telling him to find out if the client wants to extend.. When I tell the agent my availability is 4 weeks, they normally have some comment about it being a bit far in the future, at which point I remind them that this seems to be the average amount of time it takes them to get the paperwork sorted.. Has worked for me so far (although I have pushed it to 6 weeks)..
              Salient point Kevin, will defo call my pimp in the new year and get them to earn their crust while I am able to keep my head below the parapet.

Pimp will know I will have to walk otherwise, so in his interest to get sorted within the week.

Nice idea - thanks.

Comment

Pimp will know I will have to walk otherwise, so in his interest to get sorted within the week.
                By 'walk' you mean conclude the relationship between your company and the client company as outlined by the contract signed by both parties?

I dont bother looking until I have finished up the previous contract, personal preference. I always have good enough relationship with the client to know well in advance about extensions, and if not I can just ask! Keeping your head below the parapet is not the way to do things. You arent sticking your head above the parapet, you are discussing possible continuation of a business relationship.

It also means you have an active role in the negotiation of terms earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                  By 'walk' you mean conclude the relationship between your company and the client company as outlined by the contract signed by both parties?

I dont bother looking until I have finished up the previous contract, personal preference. I always have good enough relationship with the client to know well in advance about extensions, and if not I can just ask! Keeping your head below the parapet is not the way to do things. You arent sticking your head above the parapet, you are discussing possible continuation of a business relationship.

It also means you have an active role in the negotiation of terms earlier.

Yes, walk after contract ends into another one (hopefully!)

The problem is that they are trying to force me into being a permie.

hence I would rather let the agent handle things - they will need to be aware that I may have to have the odd half day for any interviews, so, hoping this will make them back down, sogn me up before trying to beat me into being a permie after renewal has been and gone.

Going to push for a 12 monther if possible.

Happy with the rate - honest, it is just a case of knowing if I will be renewed, or not.

Given that my boss asked me to think about the data in a server not understanding about the database, I think I have a good chance!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

The problem is that they are trying to force me into being a permie.
                    Would you have any objection to going permie if they offered you a salary that gives you the same weekly take-home as you currently get?

Just wondering. I suppose the problem with that is that you might have trouble keeping up with skills if you are permie, or get put into work that uses bespoke not transferrable skills (the problem I had in my last permie job).

Comment

Working...
                    X