• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best time to start looking?"

Collapse

• cykophysh39
    replied
    I never stop looking
    Always on the look out for a better deal!!
    Always looking for better rates, you never know where your next gig will take you.

Leave a comment:

• fridge
    replied
    2 Weeks

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    What units you usin' there, boy? Dog years??
    I suspect he means 24 * 365.25

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I usually start putting the feelers out with 4 weeks to go. The way I look at it, the CV goes out in week 1. You get a few calls and you can be a bit picky as to the next role. If things go well then that would mean an interview in week 2. By the end of week 2 you only have 2 weeks left and a bit of negotiating can get that brought down a little meaning a week at the old place to wrap up and then off to the new gig.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Best time to be looking is 24x7x365.25.
    What units you usin' there, boy? Dog years??

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I start looking 2 weeks or so after the last gig has ended.

This gives you time to have a nice holiday and attend any selection meetings looking tanned, relaxed and healthy.

HTH
    And less like a prawn?

Leave a comment:

• El_Diablo
    replied

This gives you time to have a nice holiday and attend any selection meetings looking tanned, relaxed and healthy.
    What he said.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Heavenlyz
    replied
    Best time to be looking is 24x7x365.25.

Best time to be seriously looking is within 2 weeks of contract end date.

Leave a comment:

• SimonD
    replied
    I always tend to start looking at about the two week point, I know by this time whether I have an extension (hopefully but not always the case) and it gives me the comfort of know I could possibly walk straight into a new contract when I want to.

As far as pimps go, don't trust them as far as you could throw them, my pimp tried all the BS about obligated to finding me a new job once this current position ends but true to form I haven't heard a thing from them (and I leave on Friday).

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Would you have any objection to going permie if they offered you a salary that gives you the same weekly take-home as you currently get?

Just wondering. I suppose the problem with that is that you might have trouble keeping up with skills if you are permie, or get put into work that uses bespoke not transferrable skills (the problem I had in my last permie job).
    Problem being I am on a tasty rate just now which would be not far off double the permie rate. If they were to offer the same I would accept on proviso that I can work early or late to make the 3 hour rush hour commute an hour (58 miles each way), which is not going to happen.

Would willingly sign up as a contractor for 2 years though......

Need to have a gooood chat with my pimp.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

The problem is that they are trying to force me into being a permie.
    Would you have any objection to going permie if they offered you a salary that gives you the same weekly take-home as you currently get?

Just wondering. I suppose the problem with that is that you might have trouble keeping up with skills if you are permie, or get put into work that uses bespoke not transferrable skills (the problem I had in my last permie job).

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    By 'walk' you mean conclude the relationship between your company and the client company as outlined by the contract signed by both parties?

I dont bother looking until I have finished up the previous contract, personal preference. I always have good enough relationship with the client to know well in advance about extensions, and if not I can just ask! Keeping your head below the parapet is not the way to do things. You arent sticking your head above the parapet, you are discussing possible continuation of a business relationship.

It also means you have an active role in the negotiation of terms earlier.

Yes, walk after contract ends into another one (hopefully!)

The problem is that they are trying to force me into being a permie.

hence I would rather let the agent handle things - they will need to be aware that I may have to have the odd half day for any interviews, so, hoping this will make them back down, sogn me up before trying to beat me into being a permie after renewal has been and gone.

Going to push for a 12 monther if possible.

Happy with the rate - honest, it is just a case of knowing if I will be renewed, or not.

Given that my boss asked me to think about the data in a server not understanding about the database, I think I have a good chance!!!

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Pimp will know I will have to walk otherwise, so in his interest to get sorted within the week.
    By 'walk' you mean conclude the relationship between your company and the client company as outlined by the contract signed by both parties?

I dont bother looking until I have finished up the previous contract, personal preference. I always have good enough relationship with the client to know well in advance about extensions, and if not I can just ask! Keeping your head below the parapet is not the way to do things. You arent sticking your head above the parapet, you are discussing possible continuation of a business relationship.

It also means you have an active role in the negotiation of terms earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinS View Post
    Ditto!! Except that it is our second child..

Back to the OP: I normally start looking when I have 4 weeks to go, after calling the current pimp and telling him to find out if the client wants to extend.. When I tell the agent my availability is 4 weeks, they normally have some comment about it being a bit far in the future, at which point I remind them that this seems to be the average amount of time it takes them to get the paperwork sorted.. Has worked for me so far (although I have pushed it to 6 weeks)..
    Salient point Kevin, will defo call my pimp in the new year and get them to earn their crust while I am able to keep my head below the parapet.

Pimp will know I will have to walk otherwise, so in his interest to get sorted within the week.

Nice idea - thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X