• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting Reference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is apparently illegal for a company to give you a negative reference. The most they can do is not to comment on the things they thought were wrong with you
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Isn't that just for employees?

Comment

Dont believe its illegal. They are just scared of being sued!
        I've used other contractors for references. Just provide phone no, and the role they were in, in the company. Never been an issue. Ive been in many roles where the manager was also contractor, so had no alternative.

Comment

As suggested, find another permie. Find another contractor. Use an agency as a reference. Tell them that the client won't give references. Tell them it was security cleared.

A guy that I used to work with, when asked for references about people that weren't too good used to say either "It's against company policy to give negative references." or "I never like to give a negative reference" when he was rung up. No need to go any further than that - they aren't giving a reference at all, but it sums it up, and you don't want to take that risk.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks very much for all your responses.
            The client I am working with has more than 80% as contractors, there are hardly any permies. My manager is also a contractor. For some political reasons, he is causing trouble in the project, and the senior management does not appear to be aware of his real intentions.

I am trying to leave from the troubled working environment. Unfortunately I have signed a contract that does not give me any right to terminate (effectively no notice period option), but the client can terminate the contract with 2 weeks notice.

I am planning to start applying for new positions and will use the previous job references, and will tell the prospective employer that I cannot provide reference from current job as I dont want to let the employer know that I am leaving at the end of current contract. After taking up the new contract, if the new employer still insists on the reference from the last contract I would inform them , as advised by some members here, that the "Client has a policy of not providing reference". I hope this will work..

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
              it is apparently illegal for a company to give you a negative reference. The most they can do is not to comment on the things they thought were wrong with you
              It's not "illegal" to give a bad reference, just that the person (and/or his company) giving the reference can get sued (and lose) if they cannot prove the facts in their negative reference (basically akin to libel)

Same is true is case of good reference, if the person giving the reference says X if great in bla bla bla with yada years experience and then X turns around and crash's the new company's systems the person who gave the reference can get sued by the new company for misrepresenting the individual

Both these senarios are based on cases that have gone to trail and been lost the those who supplied the references ("bad reference" both here and the US, only heard of the "good reference" senario in the US but no reason why here could not go the same way)

Hence why most companies will no longer give references beyond that Joe Blogs worked for us between X and Y

Comment

Just got off the phone to an agent for a contract in swiss ,who says its a legal requirement to give two references.
                lies lies and more damn lies

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                  Just got off the phone to an agent for a contract in swiss ,who says its a legal requirement to give two references.
                  lies lies and more damn lies
                  It might be over there - give two other agencies.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X