• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 day/week contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 day/week contract

All,
    I am would like to secure a new contract that would allow me to work 3 day weeks with the other 2 days dedicated to plan B.
    What is the best way of getting a role that will allow 3 day week ?
    I know that we should be able to work the hours we want to a degree, but I really only want a part-time contact ? 22/25 week.

Am I kidding myself that these roles exists ?

I thought about doing that for a while. I only ever saw one job advertised as part time, so you're not likely to find one the traditional way. You might have to sell your services direct, or perhaps do a traditional full time contract to build up a good relationship and then go part-time.

Do you really need two full days for your plan B?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I thought about doing that for a while. I only ever saw one job advertised as part time, so you're not likely to find one the traditional way. You might have to sell your services direct, or perhaps do a traditional full time contract to build up a good relationship and then go part-time.

Do you really need two full days for your plan B?
      Not really 2 full days, but 1.5 for plan B.... I also thought that as these jobs are going to be hard to find I had factored some travelling time in as I assumed I would be living away for 2 nights

Comment

very difficult to find a 3 day contract, as most clients want
        you to work exclusively for them.

I normally take a day off every fortnight for plan b work,
        and try and do as much research via internet during lunch times.

Comment

I started with my current client on 2 days a week. Currently, I'm on 5 days, but next year we expect it to tail off to 2-3 days a week. Once agencies know that I'm available to do part-time contracts, I start getting calls. Not many, but enough to keep me occupied, and the children fed.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            All,
            I am would like to secure a new contract that would allow me to work 3 day weeks with the other 2 days dedicated to plan B.
            What is the best way of getting a role that will allow 3 day week ?
            I know that we should be able to work the hours we want to a degree, but I really only want a part-time contact ? 22/25 week.

Am I kidding myself that these roles exists ?
            you won't see them advertised often because it is simply not standard practice for employers or contractors but that doesn't mean that you can't make it a requirement when you get to contract negotiation.

at the interview for my second contract it was clear that they were very keen (desperate) and i decided on the spot to make it a dealbreaker if i wasn't allowed to do a 3 day week. by the time i got home the email was in my inbox accepting the condition.

of course it helps if you are niche and/or they are needy.

Comment

Some clients like the idea of the cost saving involved in only paying for 3 days a week.

It is also good to be flexible and sometimes work 4 or 5 days. Other contractors want the money and won't accept less than 5 days a week, so this can work in your favour if you can "sell" this concept to clients.

The downside is often you will get 5 days work to complete in your 3 day week, so you might end up working damn hard on those days!

Comment

I contracted for a charity - started on 5 days per week and then after 3 months at renewal asked to go 4 days a week. They did not have an issue with this. When things were slow I did 3 days per week. Being a charity things work slowly so they would rather not pay a contractor full time to sit there....

Comment

Working...
                X