• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where do I start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I start

I am thinking about starting out in the Contractor game but could really do with some advice on where to start etc..

I am a Project Manager with a Business rather than a Technical bias but I have run small technical projects in the past.

I've worked in a couple of different industries

any advise would be appreciated

Thxs

Originally posted by Funkymonk View Post
    I am thinking about starting out in the Contractor game but could really do with some advice on where to start etc..

I am a Project Manager with a Business rather than a Technical bias but I have run small technical projects in the past.

Thxs

Thud...thud...thud.....

Start with the search function, or if that's too tricky, try reading the various threads in the fora at random until you find the answers. Should only take an hour or so...

First rule of contracting - you're on your own. Nobody will do things for you, the best you can hope for is answers to intelligent questions. Now go away and try again.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

-ve though it sounds, Malvolio is kind of right. I don't even know what you're asking. How to find customers? How to incorporate? How to prepare yourself mentally and spiritually?

-if you told us which industries, you might begin to get some advice if you're lucky. Based on your user name it seems you have experience in the musical and monastic sectors. So maybe ask around at the Hare Krishna temple on Soho Street, and the Astoria just across the square.

Comment

Typical PM, always wants others to do their work for them...
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
          Typical PM, always wants others to do their work for them...
          Well yes, of course we do.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Thud...thud...thud.....

Start with the search function, or if that's too tricky, try reading the various threads in the fora at random until you find the answers. Should only take an hour or so...

First rule of contracting - you're on your own. Nobody will do things for you, the best you can hope for is answers to intelligent questions. Now go away and try again.

That's what I like about thisplace...the measured, tolerant behaviour of the adults ;-)))

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
              That's what I like about thisplace...the measured, tolerant behaviour of the adults ;-)))

Sorry, but it's real life. OK, I usually (and quite deliberately) phrase it a bit aggressively, but the OP's question does not have a simple answer; it would take a fair bit of writing to get close to formulating one. However, all the answers are on these fora in posts from the last few weeks and can be found with comparatively little effort.

Rather than wait for the answers to come, I believe it's a better real-world lesson for a would-be contractor to be told to go and find out for themselves. Then they can ask informed questions and we invariably pitch in with the answers

The rudeness is just me playing games, but I respectfully submit that the content is actually spot on.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

My advice...wait till the current market malarkey calms down.

You may not work in the financial sector..but if it goes into hibernation this will flow onto other sectors.

I know contractors that were "on the bench" for 2+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
                  I know contractors that were "on the bench" for 2+ years.
                  Don't say that - my wife will kill me!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Sorry, but it's real life. OK, I usually (and quite deliberately) phrase it a bit aggressively, but the OP's question does not have a simple answer; it would take a fair bit of writing to get close to formulating one. However, all the answers are on these fora in posts from the last few weeks and can be found with comparatively little effort.

Rather than wait for the answers to come, I believe it's a better real-world lesson for a would-be contractor to be told to go and find out for themselves. Then they can ask informed questions and we invariably pitch in with the answers

The rudeness is just me playing games, but I respectfully submit that the content is actually spot on.
                    I agree - there is a step-change in you having to get your ass into gear and do things for yourself. Newbies need an 'induction'. Let's flush his head down the loo as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X