• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal during head count reduction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewal during head count reduction

My current gig is to finish in a little over 4 weeks, there has been talk about reducing the current contractor head count. Now I am fairly sure I will be offered an extension, but given the current climate would it be best to accept on my current rate ?
    Or should I start looking for another gig now in order to protect myself if the renewal doesn't come ?

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    would it be best to accept on my current rate ?
    Or should I start looking for another gig now in order to protect myself if the renewal doesn't come ?
    Both.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

My current gig is to finish in a little over 4 weeks, there has been talk about reducing the current contractor head count. Now I am fairly sure I will be offered an extension, but given the current climate would it be best to accept on my current rate ?
      Yes.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

When in Doubt - do nowt.

Comment

Just make sure you hand nothing over, don't tell anyone else what you've been doing, and they'll need to extend you. That's what 'real' contractors do.

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
            Just make sure you hand nothing over, don't tell anyone else what you've been doing, and they'll need to extend you. That's what 'real' contractors do.
            Also don't do any documentation, if you do make it as vague as possible

Comment

You should always look for an alternative contract, regardless of what the client is doing - your negotiating position is always enhanced by having an alternative to accepting what the other side has to offer.
              Plan A is located just about here.
              If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

What feels right to YOU? Far too complicated for a forum to answer...

1. If you are going to be offered an extension, then presumably you are a favoured service provider, and in which case you may be able to negotiate a rate increase...especially if the overall budget is still lowered. Why is the "head count" being reduced? What about the workload? Maybe you can offer more services (more hours per day / days per week?) to take up the shortfall.

2. Forgetting the resource reduction, do you have grounds to justify and increase?

3. What if the client says no? Will you walk?

4. If you walk, do you need income immediately? I've never looked for my next contract whilst already in one, but then I have plenty of savings to live off.

5. I don't think having something else to go to is a strong negotiating position - my approach to this would be to let you go, sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                X