• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Incident Managers Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incident Managers Question

All,
    I need to recruit some Serious Incident managers to work shifts 12hr days and nights, 4 or 5 days off in between.
    Some bridge ops experience would be nice as would technical conference running etc. Time is most definitely money so I need some serious shock troops to get stuck in and make things happen.
    It's North of England way. Any idea of the kind of rates we would be talking ? Any one out there match the profile ?

Forgive me but a technology / area would also be helpful. How can you get shcok troops when they dont know what to be shock troops about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      Forgive me but a technology / area would also be helpful. How can you get shcok troops when they dont know what to be shock troops about.
      No problem Sockpup, this will be incidents across a broad range of telecoms, network, applications and hardware. You are not expected to resolve these, there are technical groups assigned to this, some technical knowledge will assist your understanding. Your job is to ensure the service is restored as quickly as possible by assessing impact, ensuring appropriate resources are directed and informed and providing effective co-ordination of all comms to interested parties e.g. senior mgmt, service managers etc. Incidents will be resolved by technical teams in x minutes, if service can be restored sooner by the intervention of the incident managers then that is the value they can add to the process. Role requires self-motivated decision makers able to exert authority and communicate well to business and technical personnel at all levels under sometimes intense pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
        All,
        I need to recruit some Serious Incident managers to work shifts 12hr days and nights, 4 or 5 days off in between.
        Some bridge ops experience would be nice as would technical conference running etc. Time is most definitely money so I need some serious shock troops to get stuck in and make things happen.
        It's North of England way. Any idea of the kind of rates we would be talking ? Any one out there match the profile ?
        North of England I reckon about 250-300 \ day, based on my experience of managing this in the past. HTH

Comment

Luke, you would be looking for Problem Managers.

North of England (Manchester or Leeds) you would be looking around £350. i could do this! its very much just a project manager role, but with more team and direction management.

Problem is, if i'd have read this board before 3pm yesterday, i would have been happy to put me forward, but was offered a role last night (unless you are willing to beat that one as the contract is not signed yet! )
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Seems more of an Incident Manager role...not Problem ..based on the description he gave.

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
              Seems more of an Incident Manager role...not Problem ..based on the description he gave.

It's incident management - reactive restoration of normal service following a service failure. Problem managers do the root cause analysis bit and work out why incidents occur and how they can be stopped.

Given location and working hours, I would be looking at around £25-£30 an hour plus OT as a ball park figure, but you need to pay to get the good guys - bad ones do more harm than good in that kind of environment.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                It's incident management - reactive restoration of normal service following a service failure. Problem managers do the root cause analysis bit and work out why incidents occur and how they can be stopped.

Given location and working hours, I would be looking at around £25-£30 an hour plus OT as a ball park figure, but you need to pay to get the good guys - bad ones do more harm than good in that kind of environment.

As an ITIL Red Badge, I would be looking for more money than that....

Comment

Originally posted by Let-Me-In
                  As an ITIL Red Badge, I would be looking for more money than that....
                  Why? It's an IM role, not Service Design consultancy. Foundation gives you all the knowledge you need to do that role as described, nobody pays you extra simply for having a certificate.

And I'm not saying you're one, but I've met a dozen people with Manager's certificates who couldn't describe a coherent Service Management policy, much less design one, and even less implement it and get people to use it.

ITIL is not about process, it's about people.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Thanks all, that is about the level I was thinking.
                    Don't need any red badge (looking for some dept heads also which might suit that). Foundation would be nice. Right to say the wrong people make things worse or no better, too many spectators watching the incidents go by at the moment. I need people to influence the process in the first hour of it's life. Smart enough, confident types with a thick skin required, surely not asking for too much ?
                    Problem mgmt people are fine but need a slightly different perspective for Serious Incidents = restore the damn service asap.
                    Last edited by lukemg; 19 July 2007, 10:42.

Comment

Working...
                    X