• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 different CVs for 4 different roles..!! Good Idea..??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 different CVs for 4 different roles..!! Good Idea..??

Hi Guys,
    I have been working as contractor for 10 years in different roles, Test Manager, Test Automation Consultant, Test Lead, Test Analyst. Now since I am open to any of these roles I am having 4 different CVs focussing my experience in each of these roles. Same way 4 cover letters as well so that I can get attention from recruiters.

Is this a good idea..??? May be some point same recruiter may have 4 different CVs for 4 different roles. But I have to say 60% these CVs are the same. Test manager CV have more test management activities showing my test management experise & same way to other roles focussing on activities of that role.

I thought to take expert opinion of this forum on this..Please advise.

Originally posted by JollyBoy
    Hi Guys,
    I have been working as contractor for 10 years in different roles, Test Manager, Test Automation Consultant, Test Lead, Test Analyst. Now since I am open to any of these roles I am having 4 different CVs focussing my experience in each of these roles. Same way 4 cover letters as well so that I can get attention from recruiters.

Is this a good idea..??? May be some point same recruiter may have 4 different CVs for 4 different roles. But I have to say 60% these CVs are the same. Test manager CV have more test management activities showing my test management experise & same way to other roles focussing on activities of that role.

I thought to take expert opinion of this forum on this..Please advise.
    I don't think this is a problem. I do a little bit of tweaking for every role I send my CV in for, so that's essentially fare more than just 4 different CV's..

Comment

Yep, I've got two "standard" CVs, one is Service Management, one is Project Management. Same client list and dates, different emphases. Plus custom versions for specific roles if necessary. Just checked my CV archive - there's over 50 in there from the last 10 years...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Mal - was there was an uncustomary slip in terminology from you ?
        I thought CVs were for permies ?

Comment

Quite right. Except I've been talking to a lot of agents lately and the poor dears only understand simple terminology: with a few exceptions, it has been a seriously dispriting couple of weeks seeing just how ill-educated they are about the trade they are trying to support.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest
            I don't think this is a problem. I do a little bit of tweaking for every role I send my CV in for, so that's essentially fare more than just 4 different CV's..
            Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
              Yep, I've got two "standard" CVs, one is Service Management, one is Project Management. Same client list and dates, different emphases. Plus custom versions for specific roles if necessary. Just checked my CV archive - there's over 50 in there from the last 10 years...
              Thanks malvolio..

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                Quite right. Except I've been talking to a lot of agents lately and the poor dears only understand simple terminology: with a few exceptions, it has been a seriously dispriting couple of weeks seeing just how ill-educated they are about the trade they are trying to support.
                Are you saying Contractors shoud not call it CV..? Then what should it be Resume..??

Comment

It's supposed to be a Sales Brochure, but you will find that most agencies will giggle in embarrassed bafflement if you sens them one of those. If, however, you are touting for non-agency business, it is a perfect description.

As an aside I got involved in a discussion with the PCG guys about the difference between permie and contractor CVs, since they were puzzled that I thought there was one. The answer I gave was that permies look to emphasise how much they have acheived so they show how much value they will add over the next 20 years, contractors emphasise what they have done in order to show they can do the job in hand. Subtle difference, but quite important
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

How would you identify which role u have applied for, when a phone call comes in??
                    Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life

Comment

Working...
                    X