• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning as contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning as contractor

Hi all. Just wanted your expert opinions on my situation, to put my mind at rest that this is all ok.

I left a permanent position in January which I had been at for around 3 years. Now, surprise surprise, I've been offered a contract role at the same place. I'm running through a limited company, via an agency who have IR35 friendly contracts, and am to be paid daily on a monthly rolling contract.

Does anyone see anything problematic with that?

Cheers.

No. You will be inside IR35 though...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Gros
      IR35 friendly contracts
      As a side point, most agencies these days claim "IR35 friendly contracts", but it's probably a good idea to get the contract reviewed once it's in your possession because chances are it won't be "IR35 friendly".

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
        As a side point, most agencies these days claim "IR35 friendly contracts", but it's probably a good idea to get the contract reviewed once it's in your possession because chances are it won't be "IR35 friendly".
        don't forget it's not just the contract that needs to be IR35 friendly - it's the working practice as well...
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by chicane
          Seconded.

I can't remember the last time an agent didn't say that the contract was 'IR35 friendly'.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Yeah, I did figure that most agents would say that, but this guy claims another contractor has had it checked out professionaly.

Originally posted by malvolio
            No. You will be inside IR35 though...
            Are you sure? If so, surely that is problematic for me....what are the implications there?

Comment

No he is not sure.

If you are caught you simply get less in your pocket.

Comment

Are you sure? If so, surely that is problematic for me....what are the implications there?
                Nope, can't be sure - except that if you are doing much the same role for much the same people at much the same location, it will a bit tricky to demonstrate that you aren't doing a slightly delayed Friday-to-Monday and that puts you inside IR35.

The implication is that you have to take 95% orf your gross (less a limited set of expenses) as salary and pay PAYE and NICs on it - no dividends allowed. But surely you knew that already? Because if you don't, I suggest there's probably quite a lot you don't know...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                  The implication is that you have to take 95% orf your gross (less a limited set of expenses) as salary and pay PAYE and NICs on it - no dividends allowed. But surely you knew that already? Because if you don't, I suggest there's probably quite a lot you don't know...
                  You're absolutely right, the whole thing is a load of jargon to me, which is why I ask on here and pay an accountant!

I know the basics, but I'm afraid every time I try and read articles about these things my brain just kind of clouds over.

However my accountant is pretty sure I'm ok, and so are the company involved. I'll just have to trust their judgement...

Comment

However my accountant is pretty sure I'm ok, and so are the company involved. I'll just have to trust their judgement...
                    Becuase they are the people that are going to be left with the tax bill.

Comment

Working...
                    X