• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Competing with other consultancies.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competing with other consultancies.

Recently it was discussed here that It is a good idea to have a professional web-site depicting the one-man Ltd as a small consultancy. Now that I’ve done that I am bothered with the fact that some potential clients, who themselves are IT service companies , might not choose you for a contract because you look like a competitor at your web-site . This of course is not an issue with clients other than IT Service Companies.

Looks like you can’t have it both ways.

Originally posted by 2uk
    Recently it was discussed here that It is a good idea to have a professional web-site depicting the one-man Ltd as a small consultancy. Now that I’ve done that I am bothered with the fact that some potential clients, who themselves are IT service companies , might not choose you for a contract because you look like a competitor at your web-site . This of course is not an issue with clients other than IT Service Companies.

Looks like you can’t have it both ways.
    Why is it a good idea? Why do it at all, if you don't need to? It won't make the slightest difference to your IR35 position.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
      Why is it a good idea? Why do it at all, if you don't need to? It won't make the slightest difference to your IR35 position.
      To look credible in the eyes of agents and clients ( but not clients that you will sub-contract to - i.e other service companies. )

Comment

I hope you spent a while doing the site and paid yourself a la "R&D" - cheers Gordo

Comment

I don't like sub-contracting to Consultancies, they never pay as much as when going through an agency (which of course never pays as much as when going direct...).

Remember your audience, basically.

Oh and Denny, I have a website because it gets me work . Not though sitting out there sucking in surfers admittedly but it's been an indispensible tool during telephone interviews.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
            . Not though sitting out there sucking in surfers admittedly but it's been an indispensible tool during telephone interviews.
            You mean like " Look I work for this awsome company - www.yoursite.com".

Comment

Working...
            X