• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cancelling contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancelling contract

I have signed a contract for a position that starts nexy monday.(via umbrella) However, i have been offered, a longer more lucrative contract to start the following week.

I was wondering where i would stand legally? i think it's pretty much a standard IR35 friendly contract.

Surely the contract conditions only start from the start date of the contract? i.e. contractors notice period etc.

Any help would be grataefully recieved.

Did you have your fingers crossed when you signed it? Or perhaps you ticked the box marked "I opt out of the provisions of UK company law"?

You agreed to deliver some work. Go and do it.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Notice is normally only applicable AFTER the commencement date - check your contract it should say that, bear in mind though that you'll be pissing of both agent & client who you may want to use in the future...

By the way, IR35 is about HOW YOU WORK not what is says on PIECE OF PAPER - get the assignment checkec out asap.
      Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Phone the agency and tell them you have been involved in an accident, broke a leg and won't be able to accept the contract. Then accept the other one. It may p1ss the agent off but that's life. How many times have they f*cked people around?

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceNamor
          Phone the agency and tell them you have been involved in an accident, broke a leg and won't be able to accept the contract. Then accept the other one. It may p1ss the agent off but that's life. How many times have they f*cked people around?

haha

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed
            haha
            My mummy taught me that two wrongs don't make a right.

Did you miss that lesson.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by inertia
              I have signed a contract for a position that starts nexy monday.(via umbrella) However, i have been offered, a longer more lucrative contract to start the following week.

I was wondering where i would stand legally? i think it's pretty much a standard IR35 friendly contract.

Surely the contract conditions only start from the start date of the contract? i.e. contractors notice period etc.

Any help would be grataefully recieved.
              I would go with the new contract that pays more. OK, so it's a bit unprofessional to agree and then withdraw, however employers and clients do this all the time to us - so why should we have a conscience about it.

Being in business is a risk, so you need to maximise your turnover and profitability as much as you can without burning your bridges with those that matter longer term. No EB is really so significant they can be classed as a valuable client you don't want to upset.

Don't say that there's been a death in the family - apparently that's been overdone and no one believes it.

Better to say something so unbelievably trivial and so cozy rather than tragic and foreboding that the EB is almost bound to believe it. Tell them that you have just been notified of a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit an orphaned Chimp sanctuary in Africa as part of a fundraising reward scheme for the WWF (or some chimp charity) that has to be taken up next month or else you will miss out. With any luck the recruiter you are letting down will want to donate or even reminisce with you about Judy the Chimp in Daktari.

To cover your back, arrange for someone you know in Africa to send the recruiter a postcard with a chimp on it in the next few weeks.

With any luck they will still want to place you when your next contract ends.

Last edited by Denny; 13 April 2007, 14:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                I would go with the new contract that pays more. OK, so it's a bit unprofessional to agree and then withdraw, however employers and clients do this all the time to us - so why should we have a conscience about it.

Being in business is a risk, so you need to maximise your turnover and profitability as much as you can without burning your bridges with those that matter longer term. No EB is really so significant they can be classed as a valuable client you don't want to upset.

Don't say that there's been a death in the family - apparently that's been overdone and no one believes it.

Better to say something so unbelievably trivial and so cozy rather than tragic and foreboding that the EB is almost bound to believe it. Tell them that you have just been notified of a once in a lifetime opportunity to visit an orphaned Chimp sanctuary in Africa as part of a fundraising reward scheme for the WWF (or some chimp charity) that has to be taken up next month or else you will miss out. With any luck the recruiter you are letting down will want to donate or even reminisce with you about Judy the Chimp in Daktari.

To cover your back, arrange for someone you know in Africa to send the recruiter a postcard with a chimp on it in the next few weeks.

With any luck they will still want to place you when your next contract ends.

He's got a point you know.

And yeah dont say someones died it's a bit sick and no one will believe you, whats wrong with the truth? Everyone pisses everyone about so just take the other contract.

Comment

Just use your right of substitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                    Just use your right of substitution.
                    I doubt that would wash at the beginning of a contract even if it's not a sham.

Comment

Working...
                    X