• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chose the wrong contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chose the wrong contract

Hello Guys,
    I started a new contract last week and realised that I made a mistake. I haven't been paid yet and want to get out of the contract. Is there anything I can do to get out of the contract?

Turn up drunk and abuse the most senior person you can find. Not only will you be out on your ear faster than you can tweek a nipple but you'll be a god to all the minions left to work there.

Alternatively, invoke your right of substitution (you do have an IR35 proof contract don't you!?) and sub-contract it to the cheapest person you can find.
    "If it floats, flies, or f***s, lease it." - Evel Knievel when he wasn't jumping buses or women

Comment

Yeah, fantastic advice. How about acting professionally and not burning any bridges. Just ask to have a word with your line/project manager... tell them you aren't happy, you don't believe it's going to work for you. If you really want to finish with immediate effect then fair enough, otherwise give the client a week or two's notice so that they've got a bit of time to interview for a replacement.

Alternatively, raise your unhappiness and intention to leave with the agency first... suspect you'll get offered a decent rate rise to see it out... they'll obviously try and change your mind. Then if it's still not enough to mask your unhappiness then approach the client directly....better that, than them have the agency tell them your leaving.
      .Net and iPhone developer - check out Contractor Expenses app @ www.ContractorExpensesApp.com

Comment

How long did they sign you up for? If it's like 3 months then just grit your teeth and put it down to experience. Otherwise if it's longer then speak as a pro to the management and give them a chance to find a replacement - or even better, help find them one.

Comment

STAY !!!
          If it's 3 months - you can do that virtually anywhere. I did 8 months at Caudwells ! Take a couple of 1 week holidays (not next week) during the second and third months, it will be over before you know it.
          DON'T - slag the place off to the staff/do a bad job because you don't care etc.
          When the agent contacts you, tell them it isn't really what you expected and you are unlikely to renew. They will have plenty of notice of this.
          Explain in business terms what your concerns are - I don't like it - is not good enough. I am looking for controlling role/dev not support etc etc.
          If necessary claim a change in family circumstances (death in the family is too extreme and over-used apparently) need to be closer to home etc.
          Do the 13 weeks, leave on good terms, you will feel better for it.
          Exception is extreme circumstances - personal abuse, withheld payments etc.

Comment

You don't say why you think you've made a mistake, I'm assuming you don't like the people, culture or environment? If so I've been in a similar position, loved the last contract but hate this one.

Personally I don't like work and haven't met many people who truely do, contracting for me is just a way of making money, having money to enjoy spending with my wife and kids is what motivates me.

I just keep my head down and get on with. If I'm asked to shift boxes then so what, I must be the highest paid storeman here. One of the benefits I've found to contracting is not being part of office politics and not letting individuals wind me up, I've developed a mentality of not caring about anything so long as I get paid whilst portraying a professional interest.

Why not decide now what to buy with all the money you're going to earn after 3months or whatever, then count the weeks off until you go to the shop and treat yourself.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by sumez
              Hello Guys,
              I started a new contract last week and realised that I made a mistake. I haven't been paid yet and want to get out of the contract. Is there anything I can do to get out of the contract?
              sounds like my first contract... they extended mine too when I was unable to spend time looking for something better
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

why don't you like it and how long is it?
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                X