• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract with US client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract with US client

I am looking at a contract for a US company, with me working from home here in the UK. What problems might I see with regard to tax here/in the US? Anyone got any ideas?

Should only have to pay tax here in the UK but as always....Get professional advice

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
      Should only have to pay tax here in the UK but as always....Get professional advice

correct.

You have to fill out a form which tells the IRS you dont live in the country. You get paid gross and pay tax when you bring the money into the UK. (You have to declare is to HMRC though, otherwise they probably wont know). I opted to use a US account to get the money paid in dollars and used a money exchange firm to bring the money into the UK. Had a foriegn currency account with the high st bank too in case i wanted to store the dollars in the UK. You then dont have to pay the 7% currency exchange fees the high st banks will charge you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman_1
        Had a foriegn currency account with the high st bank too in case i wanted to store the dollars in the UK. You then dont have to pay the 7% currency exchange fees the high st banks will charge you.

Which bank?

Comment

Working...
        X