• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small agency and payment terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heathen666 View Post

That's an excellent tip about the credit report. I was working for an agency who were fairly small, they seemed to only have two or three employees. As I was working for a large PS company I didn't really check out the agency as they were paying on time as agreed (monthly billing with 30 day payment terms). But as soon as Covid hit we weren't paid, which with those terms leaves you approx 45 days down. A week later we all got an email saying the business was no longer trading.
    This.

Many years ago my brother lost £20k when an agency he used to sub-contract for (non-IT) informed him they were about to go into administration.

The warning signs had been there with regular excuses that he couldn't be paid until the client paid, indicating severe cash flow problems. More and more invoices got paid later and later and the loss was equivalent to about 60 days worth of work.

All his work had come through this one agency for years and he trusted them - there wasn't even a contract!

So, better to be safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

This.

Many years ago my brother lost £20k when an agency he used to sub-contract for (non-IT) informed him they were about to go into administration.

The warning signs had been there with regular excuses that he couldn't be paid until the client paid, indicating severe cash flow problems. More and more invoices got paid later and later and the loss was equivalent to about 60 days worth of work.

All his work had come through this one agency for years and he trusted them - there wasn't even a contract!

So, better to be safe than sorry.
      I keep saying this, all agencies work to very, very tight cashflow and there are too many agencies for the business that exists. Agencies are the biggest risk in our chain.
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Working...
      X