• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unexpected payments from previous Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected payments from previous Umbrella

I was compelled to change umbrella companies in September due to a changes of agency but remain with the same client.

In the past few weeks I have received payments totalling ~£2k from my previous umbrella company but no new payslips have appeared on the company portal. Terms were 30 days from timesheet submission so my last payment should have been in early October.

My assumption is that these are balancing payments for overzealous deductions whilst with the previous umbrella - has anyone had a similar experience?

I recommend contacting the old umbrella, since they should be able to advise you.

I also recommend verifying the amounts that you get each week. I use an Excel file for this, so that I can check whether the umbrella has deducted the correct amounts for NI, apprenticeship levy, etc. That way, I'd know whether there was any money owed to me.

In this case, I wonder whether it's related to annual leave. I.e. were they putting some money aside for that each week or giving you the full amount as you went along?

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
      I recommend contacting the old umbrella, since they should be able to advise you.

I also recommend verifying the amounts that you get each week. I use an Excel file for this, so that I can check whether the umbrella has deducted the correct amounts for NI, apprenticeship levy, etc. That way, I'd know whether there was any money owed to me.

In this case, I wonder whether it's related to annual leave. I.e. were they putting some money aside for that each week or giving you the full amount as you went along?
      I don't think this is related to annual leave, I asked for that to be paid before moving on.

Comment

As Hobnob said, basic book keeping / timesheet management with an Excel spreadsheet. I always know hours/ days worked, when the invoice was raised, how much is due, amounts paid & dates, rate kept, etc. Just create your own & work it out, you have access to the payslips, plus time recording, it doesn't take long to do.

Also, ask the old brolly why they are still paying you. Or just accept it as an early Christmas present.
        Last edited by anonymouse; 24 November 2023, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
          Or just accept it as an early Christmas present.
          Until the taxman cometh...
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
          X