• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any reason to keep paper bank statements / fees ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do that with stuff like old cars' service history records, national trust memberships etc, have it it the sink overnight then drain and put into a box that goes into paper recycling bin. If someone manages to go through the trouble of extracting information from there, I would say fair enough - they earned it. But still over paranoid about financial details.

Comment

Update:

- burning does not work well: too much smoke and need to separate sheets still.
      - drowning it in water in a garden bin: didn't do much after 1 month even with concrete mixer attachment finish at the end, think need bleach but then hard to dispose of this mess at the end
      - commercial shredders are all seem to be for big volumes, not individual consumers

At the end decided half is not risky to toss in a paper bin as it is, and used a home shredder for the rest while watching a movie with ANC headphones.

Comment

Got a garage full of paperwork that I need to do something with really. Whats the rules for keeping stuff ? 7 years or is it more ?

Personally always keep physical copies of everything but its getting a bit ridiculous out in the garage now :P

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          Got a garage full of paperwork that I need to do something with really. Whats the rules for keeping stuff ? 7 years or is it more ?

Personally always keep physical copies of everything but its getting a bit ridiculous out in the garage now :P
          How long to keep records

You must keep records for 6 years from the end of the last company financial year they relate to, or longer if:
          • they show a transaction that covers more than one of the company’s accounting periods
          • the company has bought something that it expects to last more than 6 years, like equipment or machinery
          • you sent your Company Tax Return late
          • HMRC has started a compliance check into your Company Tax Return
          https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited...unting-records
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for this

Comment

Working...
            X