• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35, which umbrella company is the cheapest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    I've never had any problems with paystream. They cost me £20 quid a week (not £27.50), they've always replied to my questions in a timely manner, they've always paid in time and always sent me my payslips and text messages when they are supposed to. Also, they work with a number of main pension providers in case you want to up your pension contributions.

I think for 20 a week, but also 27.50 they're more than worth the money.

If an umbrella is way cheaper than the rest, it's probably because they're doing some dodgy crap so the cheapest umbrellas are the ones to exclude immediately.
    Hmm I wonder what the kick back the agency SchumiStars is working through is expecting? I suspect it's higher than the one your agency is seeking...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I would base my umbrella selection on (not exhaustive)
      1. How responsive are they when you contact them
      2. Do they take the time to explain everything to you and answer your questions to your satisfaction (even if you don't like the answer)
      3. Are their illustrations clear, with all deductions and calculations well laid out and defined, or are there any poorly defined deductions with no explanation
      4. Does their illustration come out with the same take home pay as other umbrellas (taking into consideration differences in margin), or is the take home notably higher than other umbrellas
      5. What does their contract look like, are there any terms in there that cause concern or raise a red flag
      I'd agree with all the above. That price is certainly not the primary determinant or even in the top 3, however I wouldn't take it away from that list altogether. At the very least, I'd add it to the bottom of the above list.

Comment

£25-30/w seems about standard to me.

I've been fortunately that 2 agencies I've been with have had deals with paystream. Think it was like £30-40/m

Price isn't everything. SS is important to me and not all umbrellas offer it. PS have never done anything to make me raise an eyebrow, their onboarding is IMO very good and clear. If I ask a question I get a comprehensive and timely response.

I'm going to stick with the bigger umbrellas even if they cost a little more, rightly or wrongly I think it provides some protection in numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by andymalory View Post

I'd agree with all the above. That price is certainly not the primary determinant or even in the top 3, however I wouldn't take it away from that list altogether. At the very least, I'd add it to the bottom of the above list.
          I did say "not exhaustive".

Price is definitely a factor, I was merely saying there are more important things to consider first

Comment

Working...
          X