• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lo Code Solutions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lo Code Solutions

I've been offered a 12 month FTC with a financial services client as a lo code solutions consultant. They are planning on running a feasibility study into replacing their .Net business layers with OutSystems and I will be there to provide critical feedback from a developer's perspective. I feel that the decision has already been made and we will be going through a rubber stamping exercise as there has already been talk of my involvement in the implementation phase.

I'm slightly worried that I am going to become deskilled albeit I'll be picking up knowledge of a proprietary product. How niche this is, I don't know but I'm conscious of a poor market at the moment so reluctant to turn anything down. Any constructive thoughts?

Originally posted by The Mewling Girl View Post
    I've been offered a 12 month FTC with a financial services client as a lo code solutions consultant. They are planning on running a feasibility study into replacing their .Net business layers with OutSystems and I will be there to provide critical feedback from a developer's perspective. I feel that the decision has already been made and we will be going through a rubber stamping exercise as there has already been talk of my involvement in the implementation phase.

I'm slightly worried that I am going to become deskilled albeit I'll be picking up knowledge of a proprietary product. How niche this is, I don't know but I'm conscious of a poor market at the moment so reluctant to turn anything down. Any constructive thoughts?
    Take the role if you need to then leave when the market picks up.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mewling Girl View Post

Lots of financial firms have proprietary technology and it isn't necessarily limiting - it will look better than a gap on your CV.

I spent three years writing Slang at Goldman and it didn't hurt my career.

I'd take the gig and f them off when the market picks up.

Comment

My first thought is that this is your business so should be doing a lot more research on it to be an expert in it before you can sell your skills in that area. How much research have you done?

Second is what does google say?

https://kissflow.com/low-code/low-code-stats/
        Organizations that want to succeed in highly competitive markets must constantly develop apps to improve worker productivity. Banks, e-commerce businesses, and healthcare institutions—almost every single organization—can improve their market value with the help of enterprise applications. The low-code market is expected to grow rapidly during the forecast period (2020-2030). Eventually, low-code won’t just augment tasks but replace tasks currently done by apps like Excel. It will provide a platform for collaborative application development between IT teams and business users.
        1. The low-code development market will generate $187 billion by 2030 [1]
        2. Low-code tools will be responsible for over 65% of application development [2] by 2024.
        3. By 2023, over 500 million apps [3] and services will be developed using cloud-native approaches
        https://quandarycg.com/low-code-statistics/
        Low-Code Market Trends for 2022 and Beyond
        1. The global market forecast for low-code is around 65 Billion U.S. by 2027. And it's expected to reach $187 Billion by 2030. That's a CAGR of 31.1% for 2020 - 2030.

This is up from $10.3 Billion in 2019 with COVID 19 driving the shift due to increased remote work environments, the need for businesses to be agile, and the drive for lean, more efficient business systems.
        1. By 2025, organizations will build 70% of their new applications using low-code or no-code platforms. (This is up from less than 25% in 2020.)
        and more and more

But DYOR
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          My first thought is that this is your business so should be doing a lot more research on it to be an expert in it before you can sell your skills in that area.
          Well, that's it. I'm not selling my skills in this area - I've been approached as they want views from the perspective of a competent .net developer. Whether or not I will be an Outsystems expert by the end is anyone's guess

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            My first thought is that this is your business so should be doing a lot more research on it to be an expert in it before you can sell your skills in that area. How much research have you done?

Second is what does google say?

https://kissflow.com/low-code/low-code-stats/

https://quandarycg.com/low-code-statistics/

and more and more

But DYOR
            Low code is an umbrella term. She's talking about a very specific product.

Comment

I work with a few Lo Code experts.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

Low code is an umbrella term. She's talking about a very specific product.
                Yes but no. Surely every client is going to move to one or other application. The skill she will pick up here is around the solutions consultancy. She clearly doesn't have the experience of the product else she wouldn't be worried about de-skilling yet they still want her. The skill will be taking clients existing requirements and moving to a new requirement. Every single client moving to lo code is going to want this at some point so the general ability to create the feasibility study (granted she said it looks like decision is made) and move in to implementation is going to be an excellent general skill. Sounds like she'll learn about Outsystems yet still retain the skill to deliver X to Y consultancy to a client.

I'm no coder so could be completely wrong but looks like this isn't a bad opportunity to pick up valuable generic skills as well as one of the products that clients will be moving to.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have now accepted the position. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Expect to have to deal with politics.

Is the money worth it? Never take a gig out of desperation. They turn out to be very poor decisions. No work is better than poorly paid stressing work.

Comment

Working...
                    X