• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel expenses for new inside IR35 contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gazelle View Post
    Might be a whole new thread on how now to deal with accommodation - and being able to negotiate with hotels - with an inside IR35 contract (if it hasn't already been done.)
    What has negotiating with hotels and the tax status of your contract got to do with each other? You should be negotiating with hotels whatever your tax status is.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What has negotiating with hotels and the tax status of your contract got to do with each other? You should be negotiating with hotels whatever your tax status is.
      The connection being, it is now more painful to have to pay for hotel/travel costs out of post tax income rather than being able to put it through as expenses through your ltd co. You could allow yourself to be more generous in your allowance when expensing through ltd co.

Comment

The connection being, it is now more painful to have to pay for hotel/travel costs out of post tax income rather than being able to put it through as expenses through your ltd co. You could allow yourself to be more generous in your allowance when expensing through ltd co.
        I'm from Yorkshire. It has always been painful to pay full price for anything so I'd negotiate hotels, do airbnb deals or whatever I could to get the best price regardless of tax status.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In a similar boat, just started an inside contract originally at £625p/d, client wanted me on site 3 days/week, it's 1.5hr away in busy traffic didn't fancy doing that commute on a daily basis. Said I will need to stay over 2 nights, negotiated a £50p/d uplift to £675p/d. Though an extra £250 p/w - half of that will go in tax, realisitically £125p/m. But many hotels charge £100p/n. Managed to find a hotel which is a bit of a dive normally £80p/n, negotiated a £50p/n rate. So just about break even. Asked quite a few hotels, most just give a blanket no, some do give a corporate rate which is still closer to the £100p/n mark.

Might be a whole new thread on how now to deal with accommodation - and being able to negotiate with hotels - with an inside IR35 contract (if it hasn't already been done.)
          doing deals on hotels I would say I am fairly average, deals with hire car companies on the other hand I seem to excel at. often got rates that were far lower than the corporate rates negotiated by big companies.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm from Yorkshire. It has always been painful to pay full price for anything so I'd negotiate hotels, do airbnb deals or whatever I could to get the best price regardless of tax status.
            yea but you need a proper VAT receipt to do it through expenses normally, which limits some of the deals you are able to take

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

yea but you need a proper VAT receipt to do it through expenses normally, which limits some of the deals you are able to take
              only if claiming VAT back.
              If not then just evidence that you've paid.
              AirBNB don't charge VAT anyway (well they do but only on their fee).

When I have done cash deals I get email correspondence as evidence.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X