• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Becoming a contractor (Software Developer)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YggdrasilMana View Post

I would expect knowing what you need to make rather than what you want to make is a good place to start. I would be happy using 30k a year for my base. My personal aim would be to work as much as I could for as much as I can get with a goal of between 30-100k a year. But I do understand what you are saying about the market not being good so I do take your advice. But disagree that I am not hungry for this or underestimate the work I would be putting in to achieve my goals.
    There you go again with your permie-talk. You need to start thinking like a business.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post

There you go again with your permie-talk. You need to start thinking like a business.
      Sorry I will try again. "Take what you can give nothing back!"

Comment

Sorry I should clarify, I have 2 years private sector experience coding in the football industry. So I do have both private and public sector experience split 2 years and 2 years at the moment for a total of 4.
        Ah OK, still, IMO that's just not enough. We've I work in service so experience counts. Could be completely different in coding so will let some of the other guys in that area comment. Just note we've a lot of coders on here with well over 20 years experience who will be going for the same gigs as you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Ah OK, still, IMO that's just not enough. We've I work in service so experience counts. Could be completely different in coding so will let some of the other guys in that area comment. Just note we've a lot of coders on here with well over 20 years experience who will be going for the same gigs as you.
          Yea to be fair, I am fairly confident in my ability to code, I have numerous projects that I am pretty proud of with some big names. I am getting as many certifications as I can while in public sector. But I do see the point with moving onto private again.

Comment

Not at £200-£400 a day we won't.

Comment

I think when it comes down to it, it will be my own drive and determination that will decide if I succeed at this. I quit my job to become a developer and studied every day 12-15 hours a day for 6 months until I got my first job. I believe I am a determined person and I appreciate all the advice you are all giving me.

I believe I will become a contractor one day because it is what I want to do and I won't stop until I get there. If I have to start at the bottom and some of you laugh at 200 a day then so be it, once I have more clients than I can handle I will up my rates at that point. First task is getting more clients than I can handle.

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice feel free to speak up. Thank you all!
              Last edited by YggdrasilMana; 16 March 2023, 11:37.

Comment

I think when it comes down to it, it will be my own drive and determination that will decide if I succeed at this. I quit my job to become a developer and studied every day 12-15 hours a day for 6 months until I got my first job. I believe I am a determined person and I appreciate all the advice you are all giving me.

I believe I will become a contractor one day because it is what I want to do and I won't stop until I get there. If I have to start at the bottom and some of you laugh at 200 a day then so be it, once I have more clients than I can handle I will up my rates at that point. First task is getting more clients than I can handle.

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice feel free to speak up. Thank you all!
                I think you are overestimating the wealth and status that comes with being an IT contractor.

Despite the bragging of some the reality is you might drive a slightly nicer car and live in a slightly nicer house than your permie team members.
                Last edited by TheDude; 16 March 2023, 11:45.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I think you are overestimating the wealth and status that comes with being an IT contractor.

Despite the bragging of some the reality is you might drive a slightly nicer car and live in a slightly nicer house than your permie team members.
                  Truth is I just want to be my own boss, run my own company and be able to decide where I work (remote contracts). Don't need a fancy car or anything. I just want to build wealth, invest, own my own company and live a good life.

Comment

Truth is I just want to be my own boss, run my own company and be able to decide where I work (remote contracts). Don't need a fancy car or anything. I just want to build wealth, invest, own my own company and live a good life.
                    Doesn't work like that I am afraid. You are a slave to the next gig as you won't be earning a penny in between. A small number of contractors really live the life of working a few months a year and then buggering off abroad. Even less that are in a position to be able to turn down work because they don't fancy it.

The market is nothing like it used to be many years ago. Every man, woman and their dogs has gone contracting and its a very flat market, particularly when most contracts are now inside.

You can do all those things you mention as a perm and you'll want them as your income increases so I think you are kidding yourself a little bit there TBH
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Doesn't work like that I am afraid. You are a slave to the next gig as you won't be earning a penny in between. A small number of contractors really live the life of working a few months a year and then buggering off abroad. Even less that are in a position to be able to turn down work because they don't fancy it.

The market is nothing like it used to be many years ago. Every man, woman and their dogs has gone contracting and its a very flat market, particularly when most contracts are now inside.

You can do all those things you mention as a perm and you'll want them as your income increases so I think you are kidding yourself a little bit there TBH
                      Dunno, looking at developer contracts, we seem to be in high demand. Especially in the .NET Core, Azure, React, Full Stack technologies.

Comment

Working...
                      X