• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many days have you been on site with no access?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    On the flip side, has anyone EVER turned up on day 1 and had everything sorted for them?
    Am in FS on the buy side. Day 1 everything was working. Login already set up. One hour to get a pass. All the access requests had already been raised, including most importantly the timesheet.
    Before that a Swiss Bank which sounds like a courier company - they were similarly efficient.

I think the move to virtual machines has made it much easier, no more waiting for a brick laptop which weights more than a neutron star whilst having the power of a ZX81.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      On the flip side, has anyone EVER turned up on day 1 and had everything sorted for them?
      Yes, practically every contract in the last 25 years has been like that
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

3 weeks on this one. It's great when you'rr 100% WFH as atvleastbyou don't have to sit around twiddling your thumbs trying to look busy

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCooperLiverpool View Post
          3 weeks on this one. It's great when you'rr 100% WFH as atvleastbyou don't have to sit around twiddling your thumbs trying to look busy
          It looks like you've spent 3 weeks drinking before typing that!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesCooperLiverpool View Post
            Exactly -result that is.... Does my chunk in just sitting there for weeks on end
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

5 months - a pharma company in Dublin. The software I needed to write the code for the new system required a physical CDROM to be in the computer to prove you had a license. IT policy was no CD Drives in the desktops, so I twiddled my thumbs and chatted up the girls for months.

My favourite leaving memory was at a telco in Bracknell. Team leader, who I sat opposite told me I was to stay until 5pm, no way I was going to leave early on my last day. Turned out the IT guy that had the ticket to terminate my access was a friend of mine. He asked me when I wanted access revoked - so I said midday. I came back from lunch and - no access to the computer - Team Leader was SOOO pissed, but I left by 2pm.
              Last edited by IVR247; 14 October 2022, 14:38.

Comment

Oof, anything SC related its usually weeks to months. Its actually not as fun as it sounds, just incredibly boring. Some places have no/limited internet access or phone allowed. So its extremely boring sitting around waiting for access or for software to get installed. The last one it was 7 months, and I never got my requisite software installed by IT so I canned it, and did not renew much to their disappointment. Only so many times you can do coffee chat, check corp email, long walks before it gets to you. I did learn via linked in from another contractor that the software did eventually get installed, some months later.

Comment

thinking back in the mists of time as a consultant, my longest one was a telecoms company which sounds a bit like Mintish Belecom...was there 4 months and never got proper access. Had to meet my manager at the reception and get a paper pass each day. The projects were about as ordered as Brownian motion - lots of 1am finishes and slides being thrown in the bin. Place was full of MBA grads doing silly slides for management.

Comment

Working...
                  X