• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

W-8 BEN form in US - Sole Trader in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W-8 BEN form in US - Sole Trader in UK

Hi all,

Quick question, I am contracting for a US firm as a sole trader in the UK (based in the UK).

On the W8-BEN form it asks for Foreign Tax Identifying Number. Just wondering if I should give my national insurance number or UTR number? or is either acceptable?

Thanks for your help!
    Jonts

Have you filled out a W7 ITIN?

If not, then you'll need to do that to get your TIN.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You shouldn't need a US issued TIN, if you're referring to section 9b then it's your or your Ltd's UTR.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
        You shouldn't need a US issued TIN, if you're referring to section 9b then it's your or your Ltd's UTR.
        The key phrase the OP used was "sole trader"

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

The key phrase the OP used was "sole trader"
          Did you have a point? The UTR will be personally attached to the person in such case, hence my "your OR your Ltd's UTR"

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

Did you have a point? The UTR will be personally attached to the person in such case, hence my "your OR your Ltd's UTR"
            Whoops, my bad. I misread

Comment

So I think understood for section 6a "foreign tax identifying number" I should use UTR and NOT NI?

Also I don't the discussion about W7 ITIN is relevant

Comment

Not your National Insurance number, use your Self Assessment UTR if you're a sole trader.

Comment

Working...
                X