• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview red flags

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companies that ask for examples of talks you have given and code you have developed in your free time.

Quite a few people who talk at conferences do so to stroke their ego and are not the sort of people you want working for you. I know because I have worked with some of them.

I write code to pay for things I really want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Agreed, but that works both ways. I would expect someone interviewing me for my kind of work to treat the meeting with a degree of respect.
      I was interviewed by a guy who removed his shoes and put his feet on the desk.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
        Companies that ask for examples of talks you have given and code you have developed in your free time.

Quite a few people who talk at conferences do so to stroke their ego and are not the sort of people you want working for you. I know because I have worked with some of them.

I write code to pay for things I really want to do.
        And they want to hire people who care about their work. So it's probably a useful question both ways as it indicates you are not a good fit for each other. But they might just be trying to find stuff you've done you're allowed to show them since all your paid work is probably confidential. They can see you in action without giving you stupid test a=or taking up your time.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

How much do you love F1?

Comment

Working...
          X