• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding assignments for a new role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding assignments for a new role

What are your opinions on these?

They are becoming more common and my opinion are much better than writing code in an interview with a couple of people staring over your shoulder.

I point blank refuse any tasks that will take over an hour of my time and have seen some that would have taken the best part of a weekend.

Every time i've entertained the idea i'm told "it should only take an hour" but the spec clearly looks like it will take days.

I just flat out refuse tests as soon as there is any mention of 1 being needed
    Last edited by ResistanceFighter; 26 April 2022, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
      Every time i've entertained the idea i'm told "it should only take an hour" but the spec clearly looks like it will take daya.

I refuse requests that take the piss but evading any sort of coding test is a bad look.

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
        Every time i've entertained the idea i'm told "it should only take an hour" but the spec clearly looks like it will take daya.

This.

A few minor techy questions on an interview is fine, but anything further requested and I also refuse. 15 years contracting experience (and the same again before as a perm) along with a number of repeat engagements with high profile clients on my CV should be enough.

All the best contracts I've had tended to have a 20-30 min informal phone chat. The ones that have had any sort of in-depth techy interview tend to be from weaselly permies trying to prove how clever they are. Best avoided.
        Do what thou wilt

Comment

Very common for perm roles. Some of the FANG companies take the mickey with them.

For contract should not be required. If they ask run away.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
            Very common for perm roles. Some of the FANG companies take the mickey with them.

For contract should not be required. If they ask run away.
            What are they going for next? Eh. Let's bring back 1980's / 1990's pyschometric testing a.k.a IBM puzzles and whatnot. Sheez!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

This.

A few minor techy questions on an interview is fine, but anything further requested and I also refuse. 15 years contracting experience (and the same again before as a perm) along with a number of repeat engagements with high profile clients on my CV should be enough.

All the best contracts I've had tended to have a 20-30 min informal phone chat. The ones that have had any sort of in-depth techy interview tend to be from weaselly permies trying to prove how clever they are. Best avoided.
              I have met many incapable developers who have been unable to adapt to new technologies and when challenged resort to bluster and war stories about their illustrious career.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I have met many incapable developers who have been unable to adapt to new technologies and when challenged resort to bluster and war stories about their illustrious career.
                So you make the question as incorrectly answered and move on to the next one. Then at the end of the interview you mark them as a No and continue interviewing.

You don't need a long winded test to find out if they understand React or whatever tech you need just a couple of questions that confirm they know enough.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

So you make the question as incorrectly answered and move on to the next one. Then at the end of the interview you mark them as a No and continue interviewing.

You don't need a long winded test to find out if they understand React or whatever tech you need just a couple of questions that confirm they know enough.
                  I don't think asking a contractor who is demanding a hefty day rate to demonstrate that they can produce working code in a reasonable timeframe is taking the piss.

Most of the technical tests I have faced have been algorithmic and the time I spent in the past on Topcoder, USACO, Leetcode etc. really pays dividends here.

Comment

don't ever let clients test you. They engage you during the interview and it's their time to test you however they see fit. Giving you a take-home test is lazy on their part, they tend to reject 50 of them before they hire someone. In reality after 50 rejections they stop testing anyway so this is where you come in and fill the role.
                    Don't fall for "it's not professional not to do test". It isn't professional to ask for them.

Don't get me wrong I used to be very good at solving those puzzles BUT never got a job as an outcome of one because:
                    A) Client didn't bother to look at the test
                    B) Client overshoot asking for them and by the time I finished they hired someone
                    C) Client rejected it giving false or bs reasons
                    D) I didn't spend a WEEK doing the test and got rejected because "You didn't complete the task"
                    E) I spent a WEEK doing 2h assignment and didn't get reply
                    F) Test was filled with traps and ambiguities that I stopped doing it mid through
                    G) Client had 50 other candidates and I just didn't win the 1:50 lottery
                    H) I got the job but chose other offer

it's always one of the above, never "you got the job buddy"

The only exception I make is SOMETIMES when client pays AMAZING rate
                    Last edited by GitMaster69; 20 April 2022, 20:37.

Comment

Working...
                    X