• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone ever done a PAYE contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever done a PAYE contract?

Yet another variable to add in to the rate calculation I guess.....

I'm guessing same as umbrella but, instead, they're paying the employer NI and just paying you as a fixed term contract salary?
    (Obviously, with umbrella there's the employer NI, and umbrella margin to take out).

Anyone ever done one?

I'm guessing though, they dont generally include hols and sick pay like a proper FTC would? Or do they?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yet another variable to add in to the rate calculation I guess.....

I'm guessing same as umbrella but, instead, they're paying the employer NI and just paying you as a fixed term contract salary?
    (Obviously, with umbrella there's the employer NI, and umbrella margin to take out).

Anyone ever done one?

I'm guessing though, they dont generally include hols and sick pay like a proper FTC would? Or do they?
    PAYE contract should be a Fixed term contract with holiday period similar to that of permanent employee. Sick pay may differ but that's often the case for probation periods anyway.

The sole reason for using an umbrella (on the contractor side of things) is Salary Sacrifice into a pension. Beyond that a PAYE contract (at a suitable rate of pay) trumps an inside IR35 umbrella gig.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

PAYE contract should be a Fixed term contract with holiday period similar to that of permanent employee. Sick pay may differ but that's often the case for probation periods anyway.

The sole reason for using an umbrella (on the contractor side of things) is Salary Sacrifice into a pension. Beyond that a PAYE contract (at a suitable rate of pay) trumps an inside IR35 umbrella gig.
      No holiday pay it seems. Looks like the consultancy itself are acting as the umbrella, but paying the employer NI.

Know what you mean about the pension. Useful to be able to lump a lot into pension rather than lose over 50%.....

This offers a pension but it looks like just the bog standard minimum by law one.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

No holiday pay it seems. Looks like the consultancy itself are acting as the umbrella, but paying the employer NI.

Know what you mean about the pension. Useful to be able to lump a lot into pension rather than lose over 50%.....

This offers a pension but it looks like just the bog standard minimum by law one.
        No holiday pay isn’t a PATE contract and it’s utterly illegal ( as in instant/ automatic win at a employment tribunal ).

where do you find these agencies as that’s a very stupid one

Comment

I’ve done a short PAYE contract. Day rate terms, not FTC. Holiday pay was taken off the rate and banked to either use or paid back on termination. It’s basically an agency worker/temp setup. The best bit about that contract was like yours the rate was already net of employer NICs, unlike brolly rate so it worked out quite well.

Comment

How on earth do you get yourself in to so many situations like this?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              I’ve done a short PAYE contract. Day rate terms, not FTC. Holiday pay was taken off the rate and banked to either use or paid back on termination. It’s basically an agency worker/temp setup. The best bit about that contract was like yours the rate was already net of employer NICs, unlike brolly rate so it worked out quite well.
              You was robbed then on a PAYE contract holiday pay shouldn't be taken off the rate, it should be paid out of the agency margin.

If you had been quicker an employment tribunal or small claims court could provide you with a small payday.

Comment

Working...
              X