• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Haven't worked since start day, been told I would be paid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I would charge and if they refused to way - I would walk out. Don't care that I didn't do any work. They booked my time - they pay for it regardless of whether I did work or was watching netflix.

Comment

I was on a contract at HSBC earlier in the year, it took them 13 weeks to get me a login!!! It was a lovely relaxed summer.

Comment

I am in the same predicament - started in November, assigned couple of projects which were then put on hold, the place is in a turmoil since mid December with some hiring and firing at the very top, permies seem to be all looking at each other and waiting for directions. They use the 'practice' model and my other line manager tells me there is lot of work in other areas and they want to hire more people (emailed to team to ask for reference with finders fees etc) - they might reassign me elsewhere but I have a feeling that is all tentative too.

I left my earlier contract midway because I had longed finished the big project I was hired for and was really doing small sundry projects which I felt would me no good in the long run. Easily found this new contract at 10% higher rate but all I did in the last 3 month is to attend couple of team calls a week and absolutely no work of any description. My minimum stay anywhere so far has been 1yr but I don't think I'd stick here much longer if this carries on.

Comment

4th Jan 2019 to July 31st 2019: paid full daily rate including x2 weeks per month in EU. Project never even had the initial kick-off meeting. Due to the nature of the project and required clearances etc. we were told to just wait for things to get going. They never did.

Most money I've ever made for sitting around, half in the UK and half in the EU, and waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
            I was on a contract at HSBC earlier in the year, it took them 13 weeks to get me a login!!! It was a lovely relaxed summer.
            I wouldn't have believed this before! I thought 3 weeks was long. I got my login today wuuhuu its real

Comment

Working...
            X