• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late payment interest - do contractual terms prevent charging it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late payment interest - do contractual terms prevent charging it?

I'm on 45 day, paid when the consultancy is paid terms.

The client is being cheeky and delaying payment. The reason is not to do with a lack of cash.

Can I charge late payment interest for exceeding the 45 day part of the terms, even though the contract says I'll only get paid when the consultancy is paid?

To be fair to the consultancy, they're keeping all us contractors in the loop about the efforts they're going to to get the money out of the client. It's more of a thought experiment at the moment.

I suppose it all depends on what is considered "late". If it's only late after the client is paid then you cannot claim interest.
    I would go over the whole contract to see what is in there around payment terms. There are likely more clauses than 'pay when we are paid'.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I will have a more thorough read through later. I just thought it an interesting angle that the payment can't be late to myCo if the client hasn't made the payment yet.

Comment

Can your client pass on the late payment interest to their client?

If they can then charge them late payment interest.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So I have two main areas relating to payment terms:

Framework agreement says:
          ConsultancyCo shall pay all sums properly due and payable to the Subcontractor in cleared funds within the time period specified in Assignment Order. If no time is specified, it will be 30 working days from receipt of payment for the work from ConsultancyCo's client.

Assignment order says:
          Payment to be 45 days after submission of approved timesheet and relevant contractor invoice.

To me, that means the AO trumps the FA regarding terms and late payment interest could be applied.

Comment

Looks like you can charge it then.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X