• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(new?) type of problem working as an IT consultant for a French company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(new?) type of problem working as an IT consultant for a French company

Hi All

A French healthcare company wants to employ me in an IT product management position, working remotely from the UK with trips to their office. It would be primarily consulting on process and tools, and probably for a long period e.g. more than a year. After several conversations with colleagues and accountants I'm still not sure whether it's best to setup a new LTD company or go through a family member's existing one which offers similar services. Not to mention how to handle things like accounting, tax and IR35 shenanigans. Has anyone done anything similar and could help advise? I just want to help this company without too many extra headaches! Thanks

First point, pedantry really but needs clearing up. To employ you indicates you will become a proper employee. You mean employ you as in engage in a supplier relationship for your services? It's very key because being employed is vastly different to being contracted.

Secondly, keep family members out of your financial affairs. If LTD is the way to go you still get your own, don't bugger about with other setups. You aren't in control of your money, it makes dividends an utter nightmare for all parties and so on.

Is there an agent on board here or are you direct? If you've an agent then they should have half a clue (well should) about the IR35 and SDS situation. They should know if that client has a UK presence and so on. If there isn't you need to understand the clients setup and look in to the rules about totally offshore clients. Some guidance below.

https://www.markeltax.co.uk/industry...nt-is-overseas

Thirdly, working for a client in a different country is hardly new.

Regarding best setups for overseas clients then have a look at some of the previous posts on this. They should provide some answers for you.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ltd+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by northernladuk; 8 November 2021, 15:08.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

By the way. Your post on the 28th of Oct indicated you've got a role as a PM already. Bearing in mind that's nearly two weeks ago now what is the situation. Have you started as you indicated in that post or are do they just want you? How come it's gone backwards?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Re employment: yes in a supplier relationship. I presume that if it was a permanent position then post Brexit I would be subject to having to get some sort of sponsorship to work for them & subject to French employment law which I have no knowledge of. There's no agent here, I've been looking into IR35 and SDS myself. Is there someone who could best advise? I have started but am yet to sign anything official re a contract, hence these posts. Thanks for those links, I shall take a look & Re financial affairs: noted, thanks

Comment

Unless part of the supply chain is in the UK, then there is no SDS and you assess IR35 yourself. Whatever it might be best to do (sole trader, ltd company, umbrella), it is most definitely worst to operate through your family member's business - that is just asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Unless part of the supply chain is in the UK, then there is no SDS and you assess IR35 yourself. Whatever it might be best to do (sole trader, ltd company, umbrella), it is most definitely worst to operate through your family member's business - that is just asking for trouble.
            there is no part of the supply chain in the UK. thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
            X