• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else asked to stay back an 1hr or per day??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems strange to me that the manager can come up with so many little tasks that could hold you up for an hour or two. Each day? That must require some planning on his part and a manager that is really micromanaging every task, and not just for one contractor but several. Sounds exhausting.

Comment

There's a special place in hell for contractors (and, to be frank, permies) who drag each other down through presenteeism. Don't become part of it.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by throwaway3289 View Post
        3 months into 12 month (inside ir35)contract, prev worked abroad for 5 years, but due to personal reasons I need to be in the U.K. for the next few years.

1st month of the gig was fine (minus the obvious inside changes), but for the last 2 months, pretty much everyday, I’ve been asked daily by the person I’m reporting to at 3 or 4pm to ‘help out’ or ‘can you get this done for me by end of play?’.

Usually I’m done at 5, but for the past 2 months been finishing at 6 or 7pm, everyday, except a few fridays here & there. Spoke to a couple of other contractors (who’ve been there longer) they tell me it’s the ‘new norm’ & they’ve also stayed on late to finish things. Contract has my hours set at 37.5 (on a daily rate), but I’m doing around 45 or more, without comp for the additional hours.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is this really the new norm?
        if you're on a daily rate, just say no. If you're on an hourly rate, ask if this is approved overtime and bill for it

Comment

Pick a convenient day for you and get them to stay back to help you...see how long you can make them until they break...extra points if you make it past 11pm

Comment

Working...
          X